Digital Video Forum

Digital Video Forum Discuss camcorders, HD video, HD DSLRs, video editing, DV software, and video techniques. Your DV forum moderator is Skyman.
Read and Write Camcorder Reviews >>

Lightbulb Problem:::AVCHD "M2TS" Video Conversion, Edit

Greetings,
    Dears, I have recently bought a Sony Handycam HDR-SR10, which is a cool video camera, but I have now problem transfering its movies into any Editable format, such as AVI, MPEG 4 etc, without loss of resulotion.. It has a CD where there are applications available such as AVCHD Player, PMB Picture Motion Browser etc, which can copy the photos & movies from the camera into PC, & can also play those videos in its original Video Format "AVCHD" M2TS"" but I need to edit the video in some editing applications such as Premier pro, Sony Vegas 8 etc.. for which I need the AVCHD format to be converted into AVI or any other format.. The motion picture browser can convert the AVCHD into WMV or MPEG, but the resolution is down graded.. I also checked that Sony Vegas 8 can support AVCHD format & got the application, but can't import .. it says.. no supported media found etc.. & when I connect the camera via its USB cable to the computer & try to capture the video directly from the camera.. it says no device found... although i can see the camera's disk in My Computer & can open & work on it.. also the Motion Picture Browser can download the movies from the camera directly.. camera uses a USB port.. & there are no other cable except normal A/V cables & one USB.. th

By the way I am using Windows XP Professional 2003 with service Pack 2, IBM Thinkpad Lenovo, 1700 Centrino Duo, with 58 GB H.D.D & 1GB RAM.
    Please advise me what to do, I am really in urgent need of editing some of the clips for one of my projects.

Regards.
    aazad

Re: Problem:::AVCHD "M2TS" Video Conversion, Edit

Please help me friends..

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you, I don't do much hd editing so i was hoping someone who uses similar equipment might be able to point you in the right direction. First off I think the pc you are using is massively under powered for editing let alone editing high definition. 60gb of hard drive is barely enough for your operating system let alone any video files - note that your camera has 40gb of itself and those files need to be transfered to be edited. Even better would be a dual hard drive pc so you have more space for your virtual memory and swap files. I would be looking at at least 2gb of ram (the minimum spec for most good editing applications) but 4 or more would be better (yes i know xp can't see all 4gb of ram, it doesn't matter it still helps) a good video card will also speed up the process if you have the space / money as this can greatly reduce rendering time. you should be able to see the camera as a removable disk when looking at it in my computer and you should be able to copy the files across that way. I suspect that your files may be too large and you may have a usb 1 connection rather than usb 2, as this would make the viewing and transfer of files much slower. As far as I am aware once you have transfered the files to your computer vegas should be able to open and edit them, but again only if the computer has enough power to run vegas and import very large files.

Well, you can use Picture Motion Browser's export utility to export it out to more editable format. Also, if you need it, you can also get MPEG Streamclip which can put it in any format you want.

As for seeing "no device found," this is a common error as users typically forget to set the camera to stream out the USB port. Check your camera output settings.

hi, I have exactly the same problem. It appears some people can just drop there m2ts files straight into Vegas or similar. I think i must have a key codex missing or something.

cws

Hi.
    I use Sony Vegas Platinum 8 to edit AVCHD (mts) files from a Panaonic HDC SD5 without converting to another format, this gives the best result. Needed to download the version (d) update though from their website which enabled it to read the files.
    Sony AVCHD files should work with Vegas straight away, I would have thought.
    Check on the Vegas website for support forum.
    Good luck
    Last edited by cws; 07-06-2008 at 06:15 PM.

Thanks all my dears,
    Finally I got this this software, which converted M2TS into AVI for me .
    http://www.shedworx.com/?q=voltaichdpc
    I tried whatever you have told me too.. some of them also worked.. but sony vegas 8 did not work .

thanks guys.

Quote Originally Posted by byjamesderuvoDHQ
    Well, you can use Picture Motion Browser's export utility to export it out to more editable format. Also, if you need it, you can also get MPEG Streamclip which can put it in any format you want.

As for seeing "no device found," this is a common error as users typically forget to set the camera to stream out the USB port. Check your camera output settings.

my problem is i cannot import my edited avchd ntsc file done in vegas pro to goto picture motion browser, i know i have to register the file but it is already registered. i tries changing the name, it did not work . how can i import a avchd file inti picture motion browser. help help help. neil

can't export to HDD

Hello everyone..... I was wondering if someone could help me...

I have some AVCHD files on my computer from my camcorder.
    When I try and export them back to the camcorder, it says that the file format is
    "not recognised". I am trying to do this via pitcure motion browser and have a Sony
    SR 11.

Thanks
    Raj

Quote Originally Posted by aazad
    Greetings,
    Dears, I have recently bought a Sony Handycam HDR-SR10, which is a cool video camera, but I have now problem transfering its movies into any Editable format, such as AVI, MPEG 4 etc, without loss of resulotion.. It has a CD where there are applications available such as AVCHD Player, PMB Picture Motion Browser etc, which can copy the photos & movies from the camera into PC, & can also play those videos in its original Video Format "AVCHD" M2TS"" but I need to edit the video in some editing applications such as Premier pro, Sony Vegas 8 etc.. for which I need the AVCHD format to be converted into AVI or any other format.. The motion picture browser can convert the AVCHD into WMV or MPEG, but the resolution is down graded.. I also checked that Sony Vegas 8 can support AVCHD format & got the application, but can't import .. it says.. no supported media found etc.. & when I connect the camera via its USB cable to the computer & try to capture the video directly from the camera.. it says no device found... although i can see the camera's disk in My Computer & can open & work on it.. also the Motion Picture Browser can download the movies from the camera directly.. camera uses a USB port.. & there are no other cable except normal A/V cables & one USB.. th

By the way I am using Windows XP Professional 2003 with service Pack 2, IBM Thinkpad Lenovo, 1700 Centrino Duo, with 58 GB H.D.D & 1GB RAM.
    Please advise me what to do, I am really in urgent need of editing some of the clips for one of my projects.

Regards.
    aazad

What you need is a AVCHD video converter which owns the ability of converting AVCHD to other common or widely used video formats

I am also a Sony Handycam HDR-SR10 owner and the software i use is Brorsoft MTS Converter which is professional and powerful in converting MTS/M2TS recordings from HDR-SR10 to MOV ,MPEG4 ,WMV, H.264 for editing on Premier pro, FCP or iMovie.

And the software also provides some editing functions, like cropping black edges, trimming video length, adding video or image to my original video files and adding some special effects, like contrast, brightness,gray effect and ect.I am not professional and its editing function has satisfied me quite well.

Now share it with you, hope it can help you.

The Pavtube MTS/M2TS converter works great. The result is fine and the workflow Is easy. The multiple format menu is good. I find it easy to select and customize. Some helping text at the conversion settings items would help to understand the consequences of a customization.
    I wanted to convert the MTS files for editing purposes as working with raw MTS files is too slow. The speed and quality was fine for my purposes.

Thread Information