Digital Video Forum

Digital Video Forum Discuss camcorders, HD video, HD DSLRs, video editing, DV software, and video techniques. Your DV forum moderator is Skyman.
Read and Write Camcorder Reviews >>

Please offer me your advice

I have recently taken up photography, both in still and motion, I have decided to produce a movie and am wondering what type of cameras would work best for my cause. I am an amateur photographer looking at a budget of around 1,000 american give or take a couple bucks. I am considering the new SONY DCR-DVD403 Handicam digital camcorder. I chose this camera for the DVD type recording format which would be much easier for editing without a firewire. But please those of you who are knowledgeable in the field of camera work please share your insight for other suggestions and why.

-Thank You very much for your time!

Re: Please offer me your advice

Quote Originally Posted by azbfire
    I have decided to produce a movie and am wondering what type of cameras would work best for my cause........... I am considering the new SONY DCR-DVD403 Handicam digital camcorder. I chose this camera for the DVD type recording format which would be much easier for editing without a firewire.

First off, sorry it has taken so long for me to respond, i have been a bit busy at work. If you are making any sort of scripted film a dvd camera is probably not the way to go. the reasons for this have been explained in other threads but basically the dvd video format is not suited to giving you control over your editing and is actually lower quality than mini dv cameras. It may sound expensive to go buying a firewire card but if you are serious about making films it can only improve your workfolw as the better cards take the rendering load off the processor and will enable you to create more complex layers and transitions quickly.

Thread Information