Digital Video Forum

Digital Video Forum Discuss camcorders, HD video, HD DSLRs, video editing, DV software, and video techniques. Your DV forum moderator is Skyman.
Read and Write Camcorder Reviews >>

Please help! Equipment advice needed

Hello all, I'm going to be honest with you; when it comes to video recording I am clueless. Aside from shooting short film clips with my Nikon s700 I have no experience with video. However, I am planning a fairly ambitious film project. A friend and I are planning to backpack across North America and film the experience..there's more to it but it's all in the early conceptual stages. Anyways, as I said I don't know where to start when it comes to video recording equipment. So I'm not looking for anything too fancy, just reliable. We will be using the camera frequently...probably almost daily for several years. Also, how do video cameras do with weather? Are they waterproof? etc. Heck, any advice that you can give would be greatly appreciated =). Thanks so much!

Re: Please help! Equipment advice needed

sounds like a great trip, do you need a bag carrier?

seriously though the major thing you will need is a robust camera. that is going to put you in the realms of semi professional cameras, which by the sounds of it would be the minimum you would need anyway. Have a read of the mini dv vs dvd thread to get an idea about the different recording technologies and see what works for you. I would be looking for a good manual 3ccd camera that isn't two big, something like a canon xm2 (depending on the format you are after) video cameras aren't waterproof, usually they require a waterproof housing and that might be something to factor into your budget. most of the good ones will cope with a light shower as long as you wipe them dry and let them air afterwards. I would also nearly insist on a good tripod (but you might be better finding a way to mount the camera on your pack) extra batteries and a way to charge them in the field and a couple of twist fold reflectors and diffusers so you can control your lighting a bit (obviously carrying lights is out of the question) and a good microphone will really help you. If you have a pro video hire place nearby, go and have a look at what they have and maybe even hire some of it and see what will work for you size and weight wise before you commit the money to buying the camera.

keep us posted, it sounds like a great concept.

Re: Please help! Equipment advice needed

Hey, sorry it took me so long to reply...I've been busy working trying to save as much money as I can. I haven't had much time for further research really, but thanks a lot for the advice!!! I will let you know when we get a little bit further into the budgeting stage of planning things...we aren't planning on leaving for another year or so (we have to graduate first hahahaha) so we aren't making too many final decisions. Skyman, we are planning on travelling outside of North America if our journey here is a success. when we're overseas another companion would be greatly appreciated....but that's still a logn way away hahaha! Thanks for the support!

Thread Information