Digital Video Forum

Digital Video Forum Discuss camcorders, HD video, HD DSLRs, video editing, DV software, and video techniques. Your DV forum moderator is Skyman.
Read and Write Camcorder Reviews >>

Help of Digital Video Transfer to PC

Very newbie camera user asking for some help

I got a Panasonic NV-GS35 2 days ago .. and after a lot of frustration in trying to get video off the camera onto my PC .. unsuccessfully through the USB port I last night purchased a firewire card. In any case I did get the video off the camera using Microsoft movie maker but my problem is that the video and sound has come across very jerky and stuttery.

Can anyone provide some insight into why this may be the case and what can be done to fix this.

Thanks in advance

Re: Help of Digital Video Transfer to PC

Quote Originally Posted by goth
    Very newbie camera user asking for some help

I got a Panasonic NV-GS35 2 days ago .. and after a lot of frustration in trying to get video off the camera onto my PC .. unsuccessfully through the USB port I last night purchased a firewire card. In any case I did get the video off the camera using Microsoft movie maker but my problem is that the video and sound has come across very jerky and stuttery.

Can anyone provide some insight into why this may be the case and what can be done to fix this.

Thanks in advance
    2 possible reasons spring to mind, the first is that you dropped some frames whilst capturing your video (you should have been told this happened whilst you were capturing your video) this would most likely be because your hard drive is not fast enough to keep up whilst capturing the video. the Second reason would be because you do not have a fast enough computer to play back the video smoothly. for both of these problems the solution is similar:
    check your hard drive speed to see if it will keep up (it is common practice to set aside a seperate hard drive or partition for video files this will speed up your computer and make it a bit more stable. check how much ram you have. video editing software tends to be ram heavy as do the video files themselves due to their size so not having enough ram would make the footage jumpy. the next would be cpu speed, older procesors will take longer to manipulate video and not play it back as smoothly. there are no minimum requirements depending on how patient you are and how healthy your budget is.
    good luck

Re: Help of Digital Video Transfer to PC

hi goth.
    not sure if i can help, but win movie maker appears to create capture probs for a lot of poeple and i too get the same problems as u get when i used to try it to capture.
    i have an amd athlon 64 3500 cpu with 1024 ram and still have issues with it, but i now use WinDV to capture (actually its called transfer, not capturing) your dv tape to your pc with your firewire capture card.
    WinDV 1.2.3 is free, get it here http://windv.mourek.cz/
    just download the WinDV 1.2.3 you wont need to install it, just open it and run it.
    you then need to configure WinDV to capture your dv tape in type2 AVI, here is a link to a capture and setup configuration page, just save it and follow it to the letter and u should be right http://www.dvd-guides.com/content/view/33/59/
    if u still have probs then its got to be your pc as mentioned by skyman id say.

cheers and good luck....GLEN

Thread Information