Digital Video Forum

Digital Video Forum Discuss camcorders, HD video, HD DSLRs, video editing, DV software, and video techniques. Your DV forum moderator is Skyman.
Read and Write Camcorder Reviews >>

How to? Which Product(s)? 20 second website video presentation

Greetings,
    I'm attemting to put up a demonstration of how to assemble a product... think, "how to load your images from your camera to your computer"-type demonstration.

Which Digital products are best (and why) for shooting the demonstation !and compression? Anyone with real world examples and links?

I've some considerations to evaluate. high and low speed, and windows media AND quicktime (or Real Player). Also, I'd like to keep my visitors from "stealing" (saving) my video.

So, what camera/recorder should I use and why? AND how does one compress it to high and low, Windows Media Player and an alternate (Quicktime or Real Player)?

10 - 30 second video clips would be the norm.

Help please,
    Atlantis.

wow, lots of questions. i am not really sure if there is such a thing as "the best" however i guess the first place to start is with the technical skill level of the people who will be producing it, and of the audience who will be downloading it/ watching it. a lot of these things are tied up in questions like will there be action in the shots, or stills with voice over. how detailed does it need to be (if you are pointing to screw or nut or something that is pixelated then the video is useless) r the people downloading it going to have broadband ? why are they downloading it ? is the a more practical distribution method ? and this is not even considering the unseen aspect of a demonstration video, such as voice overs, titleing and most importantly lighting.

whys and more details

The technical skill level of the person shooting and compressing is me, a beginner. I've had techs run projects like this for me at larger companies; however, it is my turn to start from scratch.

The audience are potential customers that would be looking to see "some" detailed images like screws, other presentations do not require such detailed pixel counts... and it should be a video demonstration, not stills. 5-25 second clips.

The presentation format would be best served (I understand) in two availible viewers, and at two possible speeds. hence the description of Windows Media Player and Quicktime, 56K and highspeed.

The audience is downloading the file for visual reference as a quick guide FAQ section. like "how easy is it to install?" and then show a 5-25 second clip. The ease of installation would be a selling point.

As for a more practical distribution method, well... I could burn CDs and include them in the package... but then the sale is already made... and why would I want to increase my cost? The video is the "virtual salesperson" that can explain differences and/or give an installation lesson.

Lighting is not a large concern. We have a lighting box that satisfies most of the needs. Diffuses light, removes glare, etc. And larger demonstrations are outside at the "golden hour" with some diffused light assists.

The real question is, does anyone have rocommendations on what has worked for them as far as the digital recorder and compression agents? Any examples/links?

Thank you all. Looking forward to your replies.

any help? Someone must have done this before...

Thread Information