Digital Video Forum

Digital Video Forum Discuss camcorders, HD video, HD DSLRs, video editing, DV software, and video techniques. Your DV forum moderator is Skyman.
Read and Write Camcorder Reviews >>
    Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

Recomend video editing softwar

Can someone recommend an easy to use video editing software? I have been using Windows Movie Maker and for the most part it works fine for the simple things that I want to do. The only problem that I have found is that I don't have a lot of audio control between music I want to add, and the sound of the actual video. I would prefer something free if possible and simple to use. I do have Photoshop CS4 Extended which has video options but I have no clue how to use them.

The main issue I'm having with WMM is that I want to fade out the background music so I can hear the videos sounds on one clip. I can fade out the music the way I want, but if I adjust the audio levels on the video so that I can hear the clip that I want, it makes all of the video audio too loud. I can't seem to isolate the one clip that I want to hear.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

Re: Recomend video editing softwar

There really aren't any good ones in the free variety for windows. One way to do it would be to strip out the audio from the video and use a program like audacity for your sound mix then save that and add it back into the video. another cheap way to do it is to buy a cheap firewire card. most of them come with a video editing application that is far better than windows movie maker and they cost less than $20!

If you don't mind tinkering there is a version of Linux called Ubuntu studio that will have everything you need, but you are either going to have to format your computer / partition it for dual boot or run a virtual machine (you will need lots of power to run the virtual machine successfully)

PJ uses premier elements and I think that either that or final cut elements are really where you should be headed. They are like the prosumer cameras of the video world, and whilst I think it is better to step up to the pro versions straight away the price jump is huge so hard to justify. Adobe's website lets you download a trial version then buy a license at the end of the trial if you like it, so it is a great place to start.
    Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur

Thread Information