Digital Video Forum

Digital Video Forum Discuss camcorders, HD video, HD DSLRs, video editing, DV software, and video techniques. Your DV forum moderator is Skyman.
Read and Write Camcorder Reviews >>

New here w/a quest? re: sharing My Videos on the web

I'm VERY new to digital photography. Since 2001 I had a 2 mpx camera & I JUST got a Canon Cybershot S3 IS w/movie mode & a SD Ultra II 2 gb card & I am still playing around w/the camera to find what settings work best. I uploaded my video to MY VIDEOS using my card reader & I opened a new dropshots AND photobucket account but even the few snippets of video i shot ( each 4 min long) took forever to try to upload to the websites ( or maybe it just never did upload b/c the file was so large). My question is about FILE SIZE for movie mode. Is it NORMAL for a video ( on my PC it uploads as an AVI file & on my laptop it uploads as a MVI file) to take FOREVER to upload? It seems like it took less time to go to My Videos ( hard drive) than to put the videos on a web-based video sharing site. My file would not be accepted by either photobucket or dropshots. The video file was something like 26,000 kb in size whereas dropshots/photobucket only allow 10 kb ( something like that....I could be incorrect w/the kb vs mb...I always confuse those & don't know which is greater). Is there a setting for my camera or something I can do on my camera to make all future video uploads not be so big in file size? Is the only way to change the file size through a video editing software program??? SOmeone please help! I'm pulling my hair out & can't wait to share the videos. Thank you thank you thank you in advance if you can answer these questions! :mad2:

---Tonya:

Re: New here w/a quest? re: sharing My Videos on the web

there are two problems here that are sort of interelated the first is that your internet service provider often gives you two different speeds, one for uploads and one for downloads. the other issue is that video files are large. i suggest loading your avi files into either windows movie maker or imovie depending on if you run a mac or pc and saving the movie as a smaller file size but also trimming all unwanted pieces from your video clips. I don't know of any sites that offer good hosting of video files on the web. if you have your own web space then that is probably best to start with.

Thread Information