Digital Video Forum

Digital Video Forum Discuss camcorders, HD video, HD DSLRs, video editing, DV software, and video techniques. Your DV forum moderator is Skyman.
Read and Write Camcorder Reviews >>

Smile new camera purchase

Hello!
    I am getting back into the business. A previous client has commisioned a "documentary" of his life. He wants me to shoot an interview with him where he basically tells his life story after which I will edit the raw video incorporating family photos and music.

In the late 80's/early 90's I did some work for him using a prosumer Sony hi-8 camera which worked fine at the time. At that time I edited the final product (linear editing).

Years later everything has changed. I am familiar with some non-linear editing systems and have that end pretty well covered.

What camera to buy? Should I stick with SD? Something like the PD-170 (or VX2100) or should I buy the HVR-z1u? I plan to also use this camera to document my own extended family history and do some more similar "family documentary" type projects.

Any help is appreciated.

Re: new camera purchase

Hello tracker,

Some factors will be affecting yout decision:

1- Budget? depending on your budget camera choice can be made. HD cams are the best in matters of resolution, but also are the most expensive...i don't know how much they run for where you are, but the same applies everywhere.

2- Will you be doing pro work with the cam? will you get paid for jobs? If yes and you can afford it, then the HD cams are what I would suggest.

3- Control: How much control you want over the cams features? This would be something to look for. The Canon XL2 or XM1 are 2 cams I personally advise for Mini-DV, has great resolution and is affordable, as well as offers some controls over features such as shutter speed...color...audio...and the likes

You probably know this, but you also need a firewire port to capture the video on your computer, along with any software you might wanna use.

The Sony professional HDCAM's have a resolution of 1920x1080, i haven't tested it, but this is their claim, which is true as far as I'm concerned!

Hope this helps.

MarcusK
    Marc

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing left to add, but rather, when there is nothing left to take away." - Antoine de St-Exupery

Kindly do NOT edit my photos - I would rather try and apply your advice and learn...

My Ramblings....

MarcusK,
    Thanks for your reply.
    yes I will be getting paid for these jobs and think I am going to buy the Sony HVR-z1u. It's the best camera for the buck. I am familair with Sony's layout and camera features and I can shoot in HD and downconvert to SD for now to edit.

Thanks again!

What do you plan to do for sound? The on camera microphone isnt going to be good enough to pick up the spoken sound, even if in a quiet room.

If you plan on doing this more often, do you want to invest in some audio gear?

A lavaliere (lapel or tie-clip) microphone, is small and can be discrete an unobtrusive. It can be clipped onto the speakers shirt, and if done properly, sound excellent. I use Tram and Countryman lavalieres but they are professional stuff. Maybe a model from Audio Technica could be suitable for you.

If you dont like the idea of having to "mic-up" a subject, perhaps you want to use a boom mounted microphone. These are what you see as the giant fuzzy things on long sticks. The microphone typically used it a "shotgun" or "hypercardioid" microphone, inside a "zepplin" and covered by a "softie" fur cover. These microphones will sound more natural while picking up spken word well. Boomed over the head. this can be done by using a microphone "fishpole" (made by Gitzo, K-Tek, and others) or by placing it on a microphone stand with a boom arm. If you dont plan to do any other serious video work, than this may not be the best solution. I use a Neumann KMR81i, Sennheiser MKH416, and Scheops Hypercarioid Colette set. Again a high end microphones. The Sennheiser K6/MKE66 might be good for you.

Remeber to light well also. Do you have basic work lamps? Are you planning to just use avalible light? What about a tripod

Take a visit to dvinfo.net
    There are many there like you, and can help you along in all places. Not as an offsite advertisment, just a suggestion.

Thanks.

For sound I will be using a hardwired lavalier microphone.

Lighting: My key light is a Rifa-lite 66 (750w). I have two Lowel Totah lights to be used for fill and backlights.

Again, tips always appreciated.

Thread Information