Digital Video Forum

Digital Video Forum Discuss camcorders, HD video, HD DSLRs, video editing, DV software, and video techniques. Your DV forum moderator is Skyman.
Read and Write Camcorder Reviews >>

Thread: New Camera Help

New Camera Help

Hello all. I am new here, and am in the market for a digital camera.

I dont want to spend alot of money (<$500 would be ideal), and I want something that can record Holidays (Thanksgiving, Christmas, Birthdays) and also some sporting events (football and baseball games, little league or high school).

It will mostly be for recreational use, and a point and shoot option is fine, but i would like to have the option for manual controls.

I am looking for digital footage because I would like to be able to edit video and make video packages, highlights from birthday parties, christmas, etc, and I am planning on purchasing some video editing software.

I have printed the Digital Video Cameras Buying Guide from PCWorld.com, and will be doing a little more research, but you cant always believe what people will say. Any help from you guys would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!

MJS
    Digital Video Moderator

Re: New Camera Help

It's really hard to go wrong with something in your price range if you stick with the manor brands. Sony, Canon, JVC and Panasonic all make excellent cameras
    Michael
    Nikon Samurai #8
    Avid Editor
    Sony Shogun

Like MJS said stick with a major brand and you can't really go wrong, although i would avoid the dvd type digital video cameras in preference for a mini dv camera. the reasons for this have been covered at length in other posts on this forumn. and you did say you would like to edit your video

I did some research on easycamcorders.com, and found one i like...the panasonic PV-GS35. So I went to Best Buy, and found it, but then i found a PV-GS31 for $100 cheaper, so I got 31.

Thread Information