Digital Video Forum

Digital Video Forum Discuss camcorders, HD video, HD DSLRs, video editing, DV software, and video techniques. Your DV forum moderator is Skyman.
Read and Write Camcorder Reviews >>

Need some help, please

My wife would like a video camera for her birthday. She wants one that writes directly onto a disc. Now I did some research on those about a year and a half or two years ago. At the time, I had the impression that those video cameras were not sufficiently developed. Seemed like it was too early to buy. Well now she wants one anyway.
    So what would you recommend in the way of a machine that writes to some sort of disc? I don't picture her doing any editing. All of our previous cameras wrote to tape and they would get looked at once or twice a few years later, so I don't see much editing happening. My budget would go to around $800 if necessary. That's about all that I can tell you in the way of requirements.
    What do you think? Thanks for any input.

Re: Need some help, please

I went to Best Buy today and saw a Sony model DCR-DVD308. This looks like what I want. Is anyone familiar with this? What are the drawbacks if any?

Producer, Media Educator (Video Dude) kkolbo's Avatar

I have ordered one for the football team. It looked like a good unit, but I have not received it yet to give you any meaningful feedback.

While there are those that disagree with me. DVD camcorders are good for shoot and play. Hard drive ones etc are better for editing, but you have to do more steps if you just want to shoot it and then play it.
    Keith S. Kolbo
    Producer, Media Educator and Author
    Sony Vegas Certification Trainer

My forum participation is provided by Amvona.com
    My site is: www.amediaprof.com
    Amvona.com Profile and Blog

Thanks Keith.
    When you do receive the Sony, please update this thread or start a new one with your impressions.

MJS
    Digital Video Moderator

Just make sure that your home DVD player can handle the smaller sized disc.s. If not, you'll be hooking up the camcorder to the TV to watch everything. Quite a few of my students have gotten DVD cams and have been happy with them.
    Michael
    Nikon Samurai #8
    Avid Editor
    Sony Shogun

Thread Information