Digital Video Forum

Digital Video Forum Discuss camcorders, HD video, HD DSLRs, video editing, DV software, and video techniques. Your DV forum moderator is Skyman.
Read and Write Camcorder Reviews >>

Question Need a Mini DV cassette player for computer

Hey guys, my Cannon Mini DV video camera died.

I was wondering if it were possible to buy a Mini DV cassette player that I could hookup to my computer in order to import the video.

Any info would be highly appreciated.

Producer, Media Educator (Video Dude) kkolbo's Avatar

Re: Need a Mini DV cassette player for computer

:idea:
    There actually a couple of options. If you have a miniDV camcorder, then you can plug the firewire port on the camera into the firewire port on your computer with an appropriate cable and you can use the camcorder as a tape deck.

I am assuming that you are shooting standard DV and not a flavor of HDV.:mad2:

If you do not want to use your main camcorder for this purpose, for example I have very high end units that I do not want to put drum or head hours on using them as a tape deck, then the cheapest route is to buy a cheap camcorder and use it as a tape deck. The next option is Sony's consumer level DV Walkman, the GVD-1000. It sells for just under $1,000.:thumbsup:

The next step up is JVC, Sony, or Panasonic's professional level decks. The run from $1,500 to $7,000. I have not had much luck personally with the JVC ones. The heads seem to clog quickly. The bottom end Sony is getting hard to find, but they have unit that handles HDV and DV for about $2,000 that takes it place. My favorite unit is the DSR-45 from Sony which is just over $4,000. I have three of them and they are excellent. I also have 7 of the consumer GVD-1000's and they have served well.

If you are just doing video for fun and family, I suggest using a cheap camcorder. You can wear out a lot of them for $4,000 or even for the $1,000 of the Walkman.:yikes:
    Keith S. Kolbo
    Producer, Media Educator and Author
    Sony Vegas Certification Trainer

My forum participation is provided by Amvona.com
    My site is: www.amediaprof.com
    Amvona.com Profile and Blog

The only problem is.. There's no way in hell I'm gonna put up 1k for a mini DV deck. I can't afford it and its more expensive than the camera we have.

All I need to do is import the raw DV footage onto the computer and then I'm done.

I used to be able to import the raw footage from our Cannon DV camera, but it stopped reading tapes and it's VERY expensive to fix.

i am assuming this would just be a temporary solution until you look at getting a new camera? have you tried hiring a camera for the job?

How is this for a solution?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Mini-3-1M-Pixels...QQcmdZViewItem

I have a new camera. The family just bought a HD camera that uses no tapes .

I"m just looking for a way to get the old footage on the computer so I can edit it.

hiring a camera would be cheaper than getting the old one fixed and you could use it to transfer the tapes.

How do you hire a camera?

Producer, Media Educator (Video Dude) kkolbo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by marker227
    How is this for a solution?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Mini-3-1M-Pixels...QQcmdZViewItem

I have a new camera. The family just bought a HD camera that uses no tapes .

I"m just looking for a way to get the old footage on the computer so I can edit it.
    That one records to memory card and it is only 320x240 video res. Cheap though.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...ype=osi_widget

Is at least a miniDV unit that he could use to play his tapes.

To hire a camera you have to find a rental place. Around here (Orlando) there are lots of camera shops that rent miniDV cameras, but we are a tourist town. You might check with local camera shops. You could rent a camera from an AV rental house, but that will be more expensive than buying a cheap consumer one. They will only rent expensive units.

A cheap camera IS the cheapest player you can find.

If you know a friend who has a DV camera, you might borrow it for the night.
    Keith S. Kolbo
    Producer, Media Educator and Author
    Sony Vegas Certification Trainer

My forum participation is provided by Amvona.com
    My site is: www.amediaprof.com
    Amvona.com Profile and Blog

MJS
    Digital Video Moderator

I am currently using four of the JVC-S30U MiniDV-SVS decks and have had no real problems with them. I do have them cleaned and aligned at least twice a year. As skyman has suggested, maybe renting or borrowing a camera until you have the current one fixed at a local shop wound be a good idea. You could by a newer, better camera and have the old one fixed to use as a feed deck for your PC.
    Michael
    Nikon Samurai #8
    Avid Editor
    Sony Shogun

I think I know the answer, but can I play HD mini dv tapes through a SD camera, and maintain HD? I want to edit footage in Final Cut Pro.

No. SD camera will not play the HD tapes. Different compression format altogether, different data on the tape.

Thank you for the recent replies. I got all of this sorted out. I ended up using another camera to allow me the ability to import the mini DV tapes. Problem solved. Thanks!

No offense, but you replied to a 2 year old thread. I'm not looking for a camera anymore.

Thread Information