Digital Video Forum

Digital Video Forum Discuss camcorders, HD video, HD DSLRs, video editing, DV software, and video techniques. Your DV forum moderator is Skyman.
Read and Write Camcorder Reviews >>

Entering Video hobby at bad time....

Since this thread, 3CCD vs. HD video Cameras, I've read alot of magazines and websites on videoagraphy.

I don't feel it's a good time to become a serious amatuer videography due to the lack of choices in HDV cameras. I want a video camera that is good enough for serious projects paid or unpaid.

JVC GR-HD1 has a great price but lacks manual features, has poor low light performance, and is quite old technology being one of the first HDV cameras on the market.

Sony has like three HDV cameras on the market ranging from $2300 to $2800

Canon has the Canon XH-A1 which is the one I want but it is $3500.

I wish there were more in between. I recall there were more semi pro 3CCD cameras on the market back then from all manufacturers.

If I get the Canon XH-A1 and it doesn't pay for itself, I'm confident that I can sell it easily. Canon GL1 and GL2 are going for very high on EBAY. I bet I would only lose 10% to 15% if I had to dump it even after 2 years.

Hmmmmm......
    Canon 5D MKII & Canon 7D

Re: Entering Video hobby at bad time....

just checking canons website they have 2 new models of hd cameras available. it looks like the market will be changing very soon, and as hd tv hd dvd and blue ray take off that is a good thing.

Eric-
    What are your plans for the camera? Do you really need HD? You can save a ton of money if you can do without it. I don't know much about video cameras. But I know consumer HD is only a couple of years old so it's gonna cost you.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Quote Originally Posted by Skyman
    just checking canons website they have 2 new models of hd cameras available. it looks like the market will be changing very soon, and as hd tv hd dvd and blue ray take off that is a good thing.
    I guess you are referring to XG H1 and the XH A1. They are beautiful looking pieces of equipment. The extra US $600 over the Sony FX7 are totally worth it.
    Canon 5D MKII & Canon 7D

John,

Last time I bought a video camera it was in between technology. I bought an expensive Sony Hi-8 only to regret it later because DV cams went down in price like weeks later. If I buy my former dream DV cam, Canon GL2, I'll be spending alot on standard definition when I should be putting that money in to HDV.

What are my plans? Well, ever since I bought a 1080p TV for the family, I've fallen in love with the DISCOVER HD channel and PBS HD. HD documentaries don't even need a voice over. They are just remarkable. So I would like to take personal travel video to that level.

Second, I would like to make some weekend money with it. I've done it with photography and I'd like to do it with video. I can't spend $1600 on standard def.....right?

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm.......

E

Quote Originally Posted by Photo-John
    Eric-
    What are your plans for the camera? Do you really need HD? You can save a ton of money if you can do without it. I don't know much about video cameras. But I know consumer HD is only a couple of years old so it's gonna cost you.
    Canon 5D MKII & Canon 7D

It is not a bad time at all but you need to remember as in photography... a big portion of Video is in post....Not only do you want to get a good HD camera, but also software and hardware that read HD and output in HD... the extra $$ for the Canon is worth it (can you tell i am a canon fan? )...but what about the post-production?

Unless you will not be the one doing the online editing, then you dont really have any issues, and i would say go ahead and invest in one.... otherwise, you might wanna take a deeper look into things since the Hardware and Software are what matters...

That being said, my friend (who is an editor) just got an edit suite to go freelance, from Avid, and it doesn't take HD, he's been working with Ad companies for over 2 years, and the post production company he worked for, just got HD ready (if...i am not sure).... even on the commercial level, they are still not that widespread....So do you really need HD?? For weekend money, the quality given by the 3CCD cam such as the GL or the XL even, is more than enough.... It remains a matter of knowing your stuff....

Marc
    Marc

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing left to add, but rather, when there is nothing left to take away." - Antoine de St-Exupery

Kindly do NOT edit my photos - I would rather try and apply your advice and learn...

My Ramblings....

Thanks for your input Marc.

After doing more and more reading, I should consider the GL2 to begin with. I was reading an article about this team heavy into wedding video and they only shot HD 2 times out of the 40 weddings they did last year. They also rent their HD cams when needed and charge the client accordingly.

The Canon GL2 had a rebate that ended last month which would've made the camera roughly $1700 new. The thing sells used on Ebay for $1500. In other words, it really holds its value. If the rebate was still available right now, I probably would have a GL2 in my hands today.

I'm still a bit confised on the computer power for editing. I know power makes everything easier but the Adobe Premier Pro sw needs Xeon for HD but there are other software that claim to edit HD but don't require that power. I still need to research.

I still have a lot to figure out but I will get into this hobby no matter what. It has always been an interest of mine.
    Canon 5D MKII & Canon 7D

Tell you what i'll do... I will have a chat with my editor friend, set up a list of the minimum required for you to be able to produce such videos as you would like!

Its quite the enjoyable hobby even if you are not getting paid for it....

Best of luck!

Marc
    Marc

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing left to add, but rather, when there is nothing left to take away." - Antoine de St-Exupery

Kindly do NOT edit my photos - I would rather try and apply your advice and learn...

My Ramblings....

premier pro 2 is much much more resource hungry than 1.5 was but what it comes down to is the abilty to quickly render multiple video tracks and imho adobe overstates the specs so it can handle mutliple layers of video. but it will work ok with less than what it says it requires. i am editing hd on a machine well below the specs is says it needs for hd and it is ok, although the playback can't quite handle the interlacing and some rendering does take a while but compared to machines i was using when i was at uni it is still lightening fast.

Usel

I am a video editor and I still use my Canon XL1 and GL1's with no problem. Most people could care less about HD right now, except on their TV, and even then most of the people I've spoken to said it's not worth the expense right now. Prices will drop, but you can still produce a lot of quality work with what's out there.

For software I use Sony Vegas and Sony DVD Architect. I've tried everything. Avid is very good, but Avid is very expensive. Vegas/DVDA only work on windows, so I don't know if that's a factor for you. Final Cut Pro, in my humble opinion, is a pain sometimes because it's not as free as Vegas. On the Mac I prefer Avid. There is a free Avid DV version you can download if you want to get an idea of how Avid works (you can only use two video and audio streams, but since all of Avid's interfaces are the same, you'll learn a lot. Adobe Premiere Pro is ok if you have the appropriate hardware (another advantage for Vegas is that it doesn't have to have hardware, just have a firewire ready camera).

You can download a 30 day trial of vegas and DVDa from Sony's website. Believe me, Vegas is the fastest, frame accurate piece of software out there. It's also the strongest audio editing program as well. i use it every week to record a live band. You can even master in it if you want. Multi-track production (no midi), but for live music, special effects, 3d tracking, nested timelines, multiple busses, and more, Vegas baby, Vegas.

Thread Information