Digital Video Forum

Digital Video Forum Discuss camcorders, HD video, HD DSLRs, video editing, DV software, and video techniques. Your DV forum moderator is Skyman.
Read and Write Camcorder Reviews >>

What video recorder should I get?

I know the basics of running a video camera.

I own a business and want to post video from my customers talking about their experience using our services. So I can put them on our website and make commercials with them as well. I will probably sub out the commercial editing stuff to somebody else but I need a decent price camera that takes decent video.

Also I don't know the first thing about editing and posting these videos to my website. So which one has software or easy to find software that is user-friendly for a beginner?

Thanks a bunch,
    Brad

Re: What video recorder should I get?

their are thousands of cameras that will do what you want with all sorts of video standards etc, however i strongly recommend you err to the prosumer or better side of the market. the most important thing for you is going to be sound quality. to that end a camera that either lets you plug in an xlr microphone or one that you can get an adapter for an xlr microphone is going to be important. save some of your budget for a good mic (a lapel one if you can afford it but otherwise a good directional microphone.

The next most important thing will be colour. most 3ccd cameras (all the prosumer ones are 3ccd) will be ok. this is not so important for the web but vital for the tv commercials.

Editing software is a horses for courses thing. Wintel computers come with windows movie maker and Macs come with Imovie. both are great free programs for you to learn the basics. when you feel you are ready to step up to a better editing system then sony vegas, adobe premier pro, pinacle liquid edition and avid are all very nice applications and if you think they are to steep a learning curve for you there are stripped down versions of all of them commercially available.

Finally the world of video has a vast array of technologies available and at the end of the day only you can decide which one is best as they all have their good and bad points. I seem to be saying this a lot of late, but the Mini DV vs DVD thread really does explain the differences fairly well (even if i do say so myself)

let us know if you have anymore questions.

I'm not so sure he needs to invest in a prosumer option. After all, this is going on a website, which means there's wiggle room video wise. HiDef is a good option. But rather than lay out $4K for an prosumer camera, get something like the Canon HG10 and buy a good solid lighting kit. Learning to properly light a subject, and have good quality sound will stretch your dollar and give your video the kind of quality that, on the web at least, will rival a prosumer option. IMHO, that is.

I looked at a few video cameras yesterday at Best Buy (with HD & 3ccd) but no mic option. They told me it didn't come with one and the dob 5.1 sound on it was good enough for recording and playback. That camera was $800+ It had 1080p not i as well.

Do I need one with HD or not and will that 5.1 work for sounds or should I still try to get one with mic hook up? I think I really need good sounds. Where is a site with some good mics that pin up to shirt or something.

Thanks for yalls help,
    Brad

unless you are going to be filming customers moving around then you don't need 5.1 sound (and if you really really wanted it you could create the effect during the editing process) James raises and interesting point about whether or not you really need a broadcast camera. if you light your scenes correctly you would be fine with any camera, however i am wondering if it is more difficult to learn to light correctly (and this would involve the purchase or hiring of some form of lighting equipment and the space to set it up) or to have a camera with manual control that so you can learn to adjust for the lighting situations you are presented with. the one thing i keep coming back to is that the intended use is essentially commercial in nature and despite the fact that the video will be displayed on the web getting consistent quality in recording will be important. perhaps before you invest the money taking a short course at a local community college might be an idea?

Thread Information