Digital Video Forum

Digital Video Forum Discuss camcorders, HD video, HD DSLRs, video editing, DV software, and video techniques. Your DV forum moderator is Skyman.
Read and Write Camcorder Reviews >>

Unusual Canon Optura 200MC Repair Saga

A couple of months ago I decided to use my elderly Canon Optura 200MC video camera, after it had lain dormant for about two years. I found that everything worked except the most important: it could not record images on tape or on the SD card -- the viewfinder and LCD screen were black when I tried to record. I could still view and change menus and view videos and still images.

I sent the camera to the Irvine CA repair facility and received an estimate of $157 for repair, which I paid. After a month of trying, Canon told me that they could not repair the unit and offered to "upgrade" me to a refurbished, inexpensive and inferior videocam. I declined, and asked for my money back, and I did receive a full refund and got my camera back.

When I checked out the camera, I found that NOTHING worked. I could no longer view tapes or still images, or access menus. I sent the camera back again, and asked that they at least return it to the condition it was in when I first sent it in.

Yesterday, after a wait of two weeks, I got the videocam back. EVERYTHING WORKED! I could record images normally and it was in like-new condition. It turns out that the Irvine facility replaced essentially all the internal components.

I had an attack of conscience and called Irvine, offering to pay the $157 that had been refunded, as the camera had been satisfactorily repaired, but they declined, and told me there would be no charge for the repair. I don't understand it, but I certainly am grateful. Yea Canon!
    Bob N.

Re: Unusual Canon Optura 200MC Repair Saga

nice to hear a happy ending!
    video cameras are a little bit like cars in that they need to be used regularly to keep them in working order. I suggest that even if you don't need to use it you pull it out of its bag every couple of months and spend about half an hour playing with it, even if you just set it up and record nothing then come back a little later and check that the recording worked.

Re: Unusual Canon Optura 200MC Repair Saga

A good suggestion, which I will follow in the future. Thank you.

Bob N.

Thread Information