Digital Video Forum

Digital Video Forum Discuss camcorders, HD video, HD DSLRs, video editing, DV software, and video techniques. Your DV forum moderator is Skyman.
Read and Write Camcorder Reviews >>

Pro Video Cameras Vs Dslr's with video

I'm wondering what the benefits of pro video cameras over Dslr's are. Many people say that Dslr's surpass regular video cameras but I have a hard time believing that, since dedicated video cameras are still here, and are used more by video professionals. I have a still background and to be honest, I know nothing about video. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks
    -
    Please do not take my photo's. Thank you
    www.SammySoliman.Smugmug.com

Re: Pro Video Cameras Vs Dslr's with video

I will better be able to answer this question when my 550d arrives - I bought it primarily for its video capabilities, and having an 18mp still camera on hand is a bonus.

On the face of it there are many years worth of fine tuning in broadcast video cameras, however some very notable film makers are switching to cameras like the 5d MkII and 7d and if you look at the breadth of accessories that are cropping up for these cameras such as matt boxes and focusing aides and microphone adapters and you can see that used well these cameras provide fabulous quality at a more affordable price than their dedicated video counterparts. Have a look at canon's promo vids for the 5d MkII to give you an idea of what is possible! Then there are the serious Hybrid cameras like the Red which are giving motion film a run for their money. It used to be that the best movies were made on film and those made on video did it because they couldn't afford film. Then movies like the star wars prequels were shot and released on digital... and suddenly video became a "serious filmakers" option. It looks like the tools of holywood are becoming affordable to the "basement" filmaker now, so we are in for interesting times. Sure there will be a lot of rubbish produced, but we can expect some great films to come from people who aren't afraid to throw out the rulebooks.
    Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur

What are you going to shoot? Either Pro cameras or video DSLR both have a different kind of learning curve.

For video DSLR expect mono sound recording, manual focus, interchangeable lens, and shallow depth of field and magnificent image.

My only semi-pro video camera experience is a Canon XHA1 but I also have the Canon 7D.
    Canon 5D MKII & Canon 7D

Quote Originally Posted by Skyman
    I will better be able to answer this question when my 550d arrives - I bought it primarily for its video capabilities, and having an 18mp still camera on hand is a bonus.

On the face of it there are many years worth of fine tuning in broadcast video cameras, however some very notable film makers are switching to cameras like the 5d MkII and 7d and if you look at the breadth of accessories that are cropping up for these cameras such as matt boxes and focusing aides and microphone adapters and you can see that used well these cameras provide fabulous quality at a more affordable price than their dedicated video counterparts. Have a look at canon's promo vids for the 5d MkII to give you an idea of what is possible! Then there are the serious Hybrid cameras like the Red which are giving motion film a run for their money. It used to be that the best movies were made on film and those made on video did it because they couldn't afford film. Then movies like the star wars prequels were shot and released on digital... and suddenly video became a "serious filmakers" option. It looks like the tools of holywood are becoming affordable to the "basement" filmaker now, so we are in for interesting times. Sure there will be a lot of rubbish produced, but we can expect some great films to come from people who aren't afraid to throw out the rulebooks.
    Cant wait to see some stuff from your 550d. That is one amazing camera.

I was looking at some DSLR video's and I can see a jiggle effect when the subject matter has movement. I was thinking about something like the ex3, mainly because of its ergonomics and I like what I see when its covering fast moving subjects. Also there is an optional adapter to allow me to use my current alpha lenses. I also like all the manual adjustments/controls outside the body rather than diving into menus. However, I have a hard time understanding why it is so expensive. It may just be my ignorance though.

Quote Originally Posted by poker
    What are you going to shoot? Either Pro cameras or video DSLR both have a different kind of learning curve.

For video DSLR expect mono sound recording, manual focus, interchangeable lens, and shallow depth of field and magnificent image.

My only semi-pro video camera experience is a Canon XHA1 but I also have the Canon 7D.
    Hi poker, If I do decide to get a camera mainly for video use, I would use it for documentaries, interviews,sport coverage, and maybe some wildlife. Im finding that trying to tell a story through still photos and sound alone may not be the best decision in certain situations I am holding off a bit on getting one because I know there will be many to be released video/dslr
    -

Quote Originally Posted by LightBright
    Hi poker, If I do decide to get a camera mainly for video use, I would use it for documentaries, interviews,sports coverage, and maybe some wildlife. Im holding off a bit on getting one because I know there will be many more to be released video/dslr
    I don't have a s much experience but based on this I recommend getting a camera similar to the Canon XHA1. You'll need all the traditional features these cameras have for what you intend to shoot if not for the auto focus alone.

Many are selling cameras similar to the XHA1 for video DSLR so it might be a good time for you to buy used. Usually I've noticed the short film cinema type are selling these cameras so they can shoot with 35mm lenses.
    Canon 5D MKII & Canon 7D

Thank you, I will take a look at it. I have seen many people with those lens adapters.
    -

Thread Information