Digital Video Forum

Digital Video Forum Discuss camcorders, HD video, HD DSLRs, video editing, DV software, and video techniques. Your DV forum moderator is Skyman.
Read and Write Camcorder Reviews >>
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Re: MiniDV vs. DVD camcorder

1, I would rank Mini DVD and HDD video between 6 and 8 (I can't be more specific than this as different cameras use different compression standards and that affects the result)

as for a demuxing applications there are a couple for pc although i am not sure about mac's. I really don't want to recommend them as they are mostly used to pirate dvd's, and I have seen dodgy copies of them that are full of spyware. Google is your friend.

I picked up a panasonic pv-gs320 (the 3ccd one). Looking good so far and apparently - its the closest I can get to HD without paying for HD. Will upload something when I get going.

yeah..........

Wow, so much information and I'm still confused. I have a mini dv camera and I always hated dealing with tape. Spent the cost of a new camera to get mine fixed because the drive almost ruined two precious tapes. A post years ago referred to hard drives using the avi format being introduced. Has it happened? And whatever happened to viewfinders? The camera I had fixed now has a blank viewfinder. Does anyone else miss them? Has anyone found a new video camera with viewfinder that they Love?

Personally i have used both MiniDV and DVD camcorders, i used to own a Sony VX2000, and to me, it was the best quality video i've ever recorded compared to a DVD writing camcorder.

if i were you i would stick with what has been highly rated, MiniDV Tapes.
    Canon Rebel XT 350D
    75-300mm Zoom Lens
    15-55mm Lens Kit
    2GB Card

Okay, quick and easy question (but as I never use Camcorders I have no idea!)

I am purchasing a PANASONIC NV-GS90 MINIDV to start some general filming. When it comes to uploading onto the laptop can I do this via the USB connection on the camcorder? I assume it will need to be captured onto something like Windows Movie Maker or the likes and will upload in real-time, but I am hoping it can be done via the USB as I don't want the hassle of trying to fit firewire!

Thanks for your help,
    Paul.

If I understand correctly, a firewire is really the only option with a MiniDV.

Honestly, after doing more research, I'm thinking the Canon HG-10 HD HDD camera might be the one I want to get. Being HD, the quality is great, and its easier to deal with then the MiniDV tapes.

That is correct. Even usb 2 is not fast enough to handle sustained data transfers long enough to support even standard definition video.

I've been warned against DVD cameras by more then one person. they say the quality is very poor.

Hi This is a very informative thread. I am still confused now sounds like an HD camera might be the way to go as it was not when the thread started. I am looking to do some filming for fun and simple editing on my laptop the end product might end up on You Tube or even a big screen tv.

Skyman, i ahd read the info about Mini DV and DVD that you posted.
    And i dont wanna look like an ignorant here, but i prefer to ask you than stay in the dark.
    I am editing my mini DV tapes in Adobe Premiere Pro. After i edit everything i export the file directly to a DVD. In this operation the computer transcode the .AVI file to what? MEPG2? is that right ?. So all my good quality get lost in this step?-
    How can i improve or at least keep my Mini DV quality. Thanks so much for the Help.

The only way to keep your mini dv quality is to export it back to tape or a .avi file. It all comes down to how much storage space you have and how you want to use the finished product. For most people exporting to DVD is more then enough to keep them happy as this is the easiest format for watching back your movies. If you have one of the later versions of encore you could also export to blue ray if you have a blue ray burner. If you think that you might need to re edit, then keep a copy of your project on a hard drive or export your edl and keep your source tapes. Keeping all your source tapes is a fast way to end up with an archive of stuff you never look at and the archival life of a magnetic tape is around 20 years. This doesn't mean that at 20 years and 1 day it stops working but that beyond that point the tape will increasingly become de magnetised so it will start to loose information. This gets worse if the tape is stored in poor conditions. It is also handy to remember that one of the advantages of a mini dv tape is that it is digital, so whilst it is prone to age decay if you make a copy of it before it decays the copy is as good as the original! The Hollywood approach is to keep everything, but my personal preference is to master the video to an avi file on the computer and then burn it to dvd for viewing. Having said that, at work I am increasingly asked to re edit work I did several years ago, so I have simply started buying more and more hard drives as keeping old projects on these.

banished

I picked up a panasonic pv-gs320 (the 3ccd one). Looking good so far.

Quote Originally Posted by whoehei02
    I picked up a panasonic pv-gs320 (the 3ccd one). Looking good so far.
    Sweet be sure to post a review of it!
    Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur

DVD uses "interframe" compression, in which the data of most frames has some reliance on data in other frames.DV uses "intraframe" compression, in which each frame is compressed independently of all others.

I've been using a friends DVD-R to put some stuff on DVD, that I can rip an edit. I borrowed it to put theater show tapes on DVD, bypassing the computer entirely, so I could then reuse the theater tapes for the next show.(Not movie theater btw, my local community theater lol)

I not only don't have a firewire, but my PC doesn't have a lot of space left(my drive is only an 80gb) so I need to do some serious upgrades to my PC before I run the footage in properly which costs a bit more then $20 HAHA.

Another good thing tho, with the smaller clips I have ripped onto the PC, is it looks like you don't have to deal with interlacing lines for the most part.

I got a Canon Ultura for X-mas. Its not HD or anything, but its a nice little camera to really get me started, and it deals with low light surprisingly well!

Old thread, but hopefully still active.
    Great information!!
    What brought me here was to find out why every time a client brings me a mini-dvd project there are short, intermittent audio drop outs. The video is fine, but the audio dropouts are regular. They are not noticable to my clients so far, but I don't know why.

Old thread, but hopefully still active.
    Great information!!
    What brought me here was to find out why every time a client brings me a mini-dvd project there are short, intermittent audio drop outs. The video is fine, but the audio dropouts are regular. They are not noticable to my clients so far, but I don't know why.

Just to clarify, your clients use mini dvd (disc) not mini dv (tape)

For now I will assume you are talking about mini dvd:

Are we talking one client or serveral? my first thought would be to point the finger at the Camera, but if it happens with different clients or different cameras then the issue may well be at your end. What is the make and model of the camera concerned? I know that some manufacturers use different sample rates, so maybe google the camera to see if it is a known issue?

I am guessing you are converting the mpegs from the mini dvd to edit them, so there might be something going wrong with the conversion process. What do you use to convert them?

I know that isn't an answer but hopefully it is a start.
    Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur

Hello! Is there any way I can backup my dvd via pc?

Hello forum! I love DVDs so much! And recently I discovered dvdshrink I was amazed when I found out that I can burn discs and get perfect backups of my favorite movies on PC, it's really cool! I can always burn a new CD if the old one goes bad!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information