Digital Video Forum

Digital Video Forum Discuss camcorders, HD video, HD DSLRs, video editing, DV software, and video techniques. Your DV forum moderator is Skyman.
Read and Write Camcorder Reviews >>

Question Mic record level- Point & Shoot-HD

Hi folks, I`m new to this whole photography thing so bear with me here as I`m learning as I go. I`m looking for a point and shoot digital camera that shoots HD video and allows for mic level adjustment as well as limiting on/off. The reason being is that I need a compact double duty camera for traveling that I can record loud bands with and also snap decent stills. Maybe I`m asking to much for an all in one camera but it`s worth asking about. My daughter is in arts school and could also get some use out of it too. I was looking at the Kodak Easyshare V1253 and all was looking great until I called Kodak and they said that they don`t make a camera that has a volume adjustment level for a mic. Even my iRiver mp3 recorder has mic level adjustment, compression on/off, external line input with level in stereo. Is there a point and shoot camera manufacturer that takes their audio as serious as their video at the consumer level?...........Alec

Re: Mic record level- Point & Shoot-HD

even at the pro level there isn't a camera that does everything you want, and especially not in hd, the best option would be a prosumer hd video camera that does reasonable stills, but even that is going to be a compromise on your stills and the size of the device. if you have a look at the mini dv vs dvd thread you will learn why hybrid cameras aren't a great idea if you are planning to edit your video. Your iRiver may have mic adjustment, but does it record mono or stereo? and how decent sound can you get out of such a tiny little mic? not to mention that the audio is clipped and compressed a lot so the tonal and dynamic range of a typical rock band (especially live) would still be lost. Most consumer video cameras have some sort of auto audio level adjustment on the camera, but it isn't until you hit the prosumer models that you get manual adjustment.

Drop us a line if you have any more questions we are always happy to help!

Unhappy Re: Mic record level- Point & Shoot-HD

Thanks for the reply. I will still buy a point and shoot camera regardless as it is a portability issue when traveling that is important to me at this point.Yes my $100 iRiver does allow for stereo recording with no compression because it has a mic/line input and a preference menu with multiple options. It will do 16 bit Cd quality recordings off a mixing board`s aux sends in stereo and I`m thinking would be very handy as an additional audio source for syncing up to video when shooting band footage. I was looking for a still camera that did it all but I guess I`m out of luck.The market for recording engineers like myself wanting decent audio in a still camera is obviously low. Thanks for your help..........Alec

Thread Information