Digital Video Forum

Digital Video Forum Discuss camcorders, HD video, HD DSLRs, video editing, DV software, and video techniques. Your DV forum moderator is Skyman.
Read and Write Camcorder Reviews >>

Canon video MPEG license...

What does this mean to the normal user? From the 5DII manual:

Canon video MPEG license...-mpeg_4.jpg

TF
    -----------------
    I am no better than you. I critique to teach myself to see.
    -----------------
    Feel free to edit my photos or do anything else that will help me learn.
    -----------------
    Sony/Minolta - way more gear than talent.

drg

Re: Canon video MPEG license...

It is a reverse engineering protection statement. You are not supposed to copy the codec output for purposes of determining the nature and specifics of the compression technique.

There are some other issues since MPEG(x) are owned by an entity like the .GIF format and the .TIFF formats. Usually any or all royalty is paid by the manufacturer who includes the embodiment of the algorithm in their hardware these days.

There are exceptions including but not limited to countries that are not party to various trade agreements and haven't signed treaties so are not allowed to commercially redistribute 'product' with such licensed encoding or patented product.

If you are familiar with the source code provisions of intellectual property and its licensing, that's what this is all about.

You shouldn't have any concern about whatever you want to do with the camera. Unless you want to make a major motion picture encoded in MPEG4 and build hardware to display it. Then you might have someone come a knocking want for their 32 cents.
    CDPrice 'drg'
    Biography and Contributor's Page

Please do not edit and repost any of my photographs.

Re: Canon video MPEG license...

Quote Originally Posted by drg
    It is a reverse engineering protection statement. You are not supposed to copy the codec output for purposes of determining the nature and specifics of the compression technique.

There are some other issues since MPEG(x) are owned by an entity like the .GIF format and the .TIFF formats. Usually any or all royalty is paid by the manufacturer who includes the embodiment of the algorithm in their hardware these days.

There are exceptions including but not limited to countries that are not party to various trade agreements and haven't signed treaties so are not allowed to commercially redistribute 'product' with such licensed encoding or patented product.

If you are familiar with the source code provisions of intellectual property and its licensing, that's what this is all about.

You shouldn't have any concern about whatever you want to do with the camera. Unless you want to make a major motion picture encoded in MPEG4 and build hardware to display it. Then you might have someone come a knocking want for their 32 cents.
    Thanks. - TF
    -----------------
    I am no better than you. I critique to teach myself to see.
    -----------------
    Feel free to edit my photos or do anything else that will help me learn.
    -----------------
    Sony/Minolta - way more gear than talent.

Thread Information