• 10-26-2009, 01:39 PM
    supernaturalfan
    Looking for suitable security digital camera
    Hi peeps,

Unsure if this is the correct place to post but was hoping for some help.

My car is parked in a private underground car park, however it is continually being damaged and parts being stolen like badges, dust caps etc.

Have contacted the police and they can't do anything as don't have any evidence but agree that it is another resident that is doing this. It is a secure car park and only residents have access, they even have an idea of who it is.

Anyway, I want to fit a camera to record the area around my car and am struggling to find anything suitable.

It needs to be battery powered as it will be inside the car. It will also need to either record continually or record on motion. The continual record presents a power problem as it would need to be capable of recording for around 8 hours, the length of time my car is typically unattended. With motion cameras I'm unsure if they will activate through the car window, i.e. unsure if will detect motion through window.

I had a look at this one http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?moduleno=228300 which looks like it might do the trick but it's out of stock and I'm not all that sure in terms of the motion activation through the car window.

Other options are the continual record but they have a really poor battery life, around 3 hours is the best I can find and reading some of the feedback it looks like if you leave it to run out of power it will delete everything it's been recording! http://www.amazon.co.uk/Veho-VCC-003...ref=pd_cp_ce_0

I don't think wireless is an option because I live in apartments and the car park is in the basement and I am on the top floor (4th) and I think they need line of sight?

Any ideas or recommendations would be much appreciated.
  • 10-26-2009, 02:41 PM
    Frog
    Re: Looking for suitable security digital camera
    I've no experience but looks like the one you've selected is a good option. I was thinking of one of the wildlife motion cameras that I've seen people set up in trees or something and come back for a month later and it mentions that the one you selected is good for that.
    Is this happening in the dark or low light?
    If it flashes, it would warn away the culprit and you'd probably definitely get reflection off the windows instead of the exterior.
    Hopefully, someone with experience in this can reply.
  • 10-26-2009, 03:48 PM
    SmartWombat
    Motion cameras usually work on detecting motion in the image, by subtracting frame1 from frame2 and looking for the difference. It has to be set so that it isn't triggered by trees blowing in the wind, for example, but that kind of visual motion detection would work fine.
    If it has a separate Infra Red detector for motion, then that won't work very well through glass at all. So that rules out the Maplin sentry camera.
    The sentry camera would be fine outside the car, watching it, with 30 hours battery life on AA cells, but of course once the flash has gone off they know where it is and can just steal the camera.

If your car battery is in good condition, 12V cameras take so little power that you can run them continually, not sure about the recorder though.

Try N89FX and B42LW from Maplin.
  • 10-26-2009, 07:34 PM
    supernaturalfan
    Thanks for replies guys. I'm glad I posted before buying anything.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SmartWombat
    Motion cameras usually work on detecting motion in the image, by subtracting frame1 from frame2 and looking for the difference. It has to be set so that it isn't triggered by trees blowing in the wind, for example, but that kind of visual motion detection would work fine.
    If it has a separate Infra Red detector for motion, then that won't work very well through glass at all. So that rules out the Maplin sentry camera.
    The sentry camera would be fine outside the car, watching it, with 30 hours battery life on AA cells, but of course once the flash has gone off they know where it is and can just steal the camera.

Bummer :( Would've been perfect given the long battery life. Also looked at a Bushnell model http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...s=REG#features which says "is activated by motion, and it uses a passive infrared sensor to detect motion out to 45 feet. " so I guess that one won't work for the same reason.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SmartWombat
    If your car battery is in good condition, 12V cameras take so little power that you can run them continually, not sure about the recorder though.

Try N89FX and B42LW from Maplin.

Thanks for that, they look like they'd do the job. Only thing unsure of is how it would be powered when the car is off. Unsure if these have that lighter socket type connectors, in which case ignition needs to be on as there's no power to that socket in my car until engine is on (I use for charging me phone too).

Hopefully this doesn't sound stupid :) but what about a standalone 12v battery that I could just keep in boot for hooking up camera.

So annoying having to go to these lengths. it's a secure car park so it's definitely a resident. :mad:
  • 10-27-2009, 01:12 AM
    SmartWombat
    Standalone 12v battery (in a plastic bowl in case of acid spills) and you'd be OK, yes.
    If you don't use a car battery, then one of the spill-free Gel ones shoudl be OK, but check that you have the right kind of charger.
    I reckon you can get it all at Maplin - my favourite toy shop !
  • 10-28-2009, 07:00 PM
    supernaturalfan
    Urgh this is turning out to be way beyond my budget :( I wish the trail camera worked, it's the cheapest solution.

Also, emailed Maplin asking about the connector for this equipment, they've not replied. Also check stock in my local store and they don't have any of it in stock so I'd need to order online which I won't do unless I know in advance it will work.

with the camera, the recording device for which apparently need to buy a separate hard drive, battery which cost £100 upwards and also a charger for the battery, I'm looking at a considerable whack.

Any ideas for a cheaper solution? Doesn't need to be perfect picture/video quality.

I had a look at this site http://www.kgbcameras.co.uk/cameras/...#PVR_RECORDERS, it's the one called "Home, Office and Vehicle guard time lapse DVR Video. Order No. ER-130V"

What got my interest is that as well as 12V power it also works on 2xAAA batteries, it says 4 hours on high power but up to 17 depending upon settings. £130+VAT is much more reasonable.
  • 10-28-2009, 08:56 PM
    Skyman
    I am not sure how suitable these devices would be but i guess it is worth a shot:

http://www.thinkgeek.com/gadgets/security/ab57/ - the wiring on this one could be an issue as it is designed to go on a door.

or this guy if you like gadgets! http://www.thinkgeek.com/gadgets/security/c7b4/

and finally there is always the deterent factor:

http://www.thinkgeek.com/gadgets/security/9feb/ - at least it won't vreak the budget!
  • 11-01-2009, 08:58 PM
    supernaturalfan
    Might get Rovio just because he looks super cool :-) Think having him in my car though he's sure to be pinched, also there's the problem with distance, would wi fi would work at that distance? Garage is in basement and I'm 4 floors up.

He's definitely going on my xmas prezzie list though because he's ace, a robo-pet/guard-bot, superb. Also found this little guy, I'd LUV something like this for my xmas :) http://www.thetoyshop.com/NoveltyAnd...ontent=&gclid=

The peephole camera and dvr looks like it would do the trick, so long as it records, lasts for around 8hrs at a time and works through glass, that'll do me. Since it's designed to work through a peep hole I'm gonna guess that video is no problem, just wonder if the motion sensor is designed to operate through peep hole also or if that must be outside door. If it works through peep hole then I'm in business because that means it will work through glass also.

Don't necessarily need to see it live so can just leave the dvr in the boot of the car and I've got a video recording should anything happen again.

There are dummy cameras fitted in garage already, that's why police think it's another resident doing this, only residents know cameras are dummy. Worth fitting one though and pointing it directly to my car, if it helps deter some would be criminals then that's a vast improvement :)
  • 12-01-2009, 01:59 AM
    tidy_max
    Hi, this is just a quick idea/ cheap alternative, we had some trouble a while back but i was skint and in a similar position, i got one of my old mobile phones (nokia 6600) and installed a motion detection application, which did the majority of the aforementioned features (uploading to an ftp server etc) but all over GSM,

a nokia 6600 these days will go for nowt, and i can vouch the pictures would be good enough to recognise you is doing it, ill have a trawl around the net now to see if i can find more information

Here we Go!!

just scroll down about a 5th of the page and there is a heading Motion Camera

there are also links to download the app :) good luck