Digital Video Forum

Digital Video Forum Discuss camcorders, HD video, HD DSLRs, video editing, DV software, and video techniques. Your DV forum moderator is Skyman.
Read and Write Camcorder Reviews >>
    LAC

live streaming from camcorders

I'm a total rookie so please bear with me. I need help finding a camcorder that will do live streaming and I'm having no luck. Does anyone know of one?

Re: live streaming from camcorders

Quote Originally Posted by LAC
    I'm a total rookie so please bear with me. I need help finding a camcorder that will do live streaming and I'm having no luck. Does anyone know of one?

That's more of a software thing that a hardware thing. Camcorders that connect via firewire and/or USB can be utilized with streaming software. Other choices are online services that can stream for you and some are free. I don't think your find a camcorder that speficially states "for streaming".

I streamed my new born son to my wife at her work using an USB compatible camcorder and windows streaming software. That was 5 years ago.

Start with the software. Hope this helps.
    Canon 5D MKII & Canon 7D

LAC

OK, thank you.
    We were trying to run the Sony Handicam SR12 (USB connect) through Ustream's Watershed and had no luck. (Watershed wouldn't find the camera). Also, when you look at the options in the Sony software that comes with the camera there is no streaming option - just record to CD, DVD, hard drive etc etc.
    We phoned both Sony and Panasonic who told us none of their cameras would stream. I'll take a look at the windows streaming software and give that a shot.

one issue with camcorders is that they often will turn themselves off after a few minutes when not in recording mode. this means that to stream you also need to record wich is not ideal as you are restricitng your stream time to the length of your recording media.
    Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur

LAC

So, after much trial and error we're still at square one. Can't get a pc or laptop to even find the camera unless it's a Mac. Managed to get a Mac PC to find the camera but it wouldn't stream because our broadcaster is flash based.
    Any thoughts about why a pc or laptop running XP will not find the camera? Also, the camera that we used with the Mac doesn't come with drivers so we can rule that out as a simple solution.

I discovered that I could not stream with my Canon HV20 if it was set to HD.

Try connecting the video camera via fire wire and then set it to standard definition output.

Good luck.
    Canon 5D MKII & Canon 7D

LAC

Yes, have already tried it on SD instead of HD and still no luck. Can you tell me more about your setup? Were you using a laptop or PC? What OS were you running?

Thread Information