Digital Video Forum

Digital Video Forum Discuss camcorders, HD video, HD DSLRs, video editing, DV software, and video techniques. Your DV forum moderator is Skyman.
Read and Write Camcorder Reviews >>

Post JVC GR-D820 Mini dv Camcorder

Hi

I have just purchased the above camcorder to replace my faulty GR-D240 ( Tape would not retract back into camera!) On this new camcorder I have been unable to open the tape part to load a tape! I have followed the booklet which advises you to push the open/eject button and open compartment. There are not thumb grips or lips to hold on to to open the thing! I don't want to use too much force, but could it be faulty?

Any advice would be very much appreciated, even if someone can advise how to fix my old D240!!

Thanks

Mel:mad2:

Re: JVC GR-D820 Mini dv Camcorder

some of the eject mechanisms only open when the covering door is completely open. If that doesn't help then take it back to the store.

Forgive me, this isn't a reply. I am totally new to this site, and can't work out how to post my own question about the above camcorder.

I have had a series of JVC camcorders over the years, and eventually they all gave up the ghost for one reason or another. I hadn't made vhs copies of quite a few of my mini dv cassettes, when the last one died on me, and was left in a dilemma. About 2 or 3 years have gone by since then - for the usual reasons, pressures of work and of life, etc. Anyway, I thought that I better purchase a mini dv camcorder before they became obsolete, or I may lose all my precious footage.

I have ordered the above from Jacobs On Line, but may have been hasty, because it was only later in the day that I noticed that there was no usb cable. That shouldn't prove to be problematic if I want to go back and copy all the fun times that I recorded on my mini dv cassettes, because the AV cable is used for that purpose, isn't it? What are the USB and the ( Out only) Fire Wire for? Also, there is no docking station, so will I be able to edit the action incorporating all the clever stuff eg.faders, etc, like I used to via the docking stations that came with my other JVC camcorders?

A lot of questions, I know, apologies once more, but I would be extremely grateful for the answers.

Regards,

Hazel

Video cameras that come with a USB cable generally use the USB to transfer still pictures from the camera to the computer. The Firewire port is used to transfer digital video to and from your computer so you can edit it and burn it to DVD. The AV cable is used to send an analogue signal to a tv, vcr or any other analogue device. I doubt that your new camera will work with your dock as the docking station will most likely not fit with your new camera. All the editing functions you used through the dock are now most commonly done on a computer with video editing software like windows movie maker or adobe premiere.

Thanks, Skyman!

Thanks, Skyman! That's a lot clearer! I may have to come back to you once I start transfering my old mini dv cassettes to dvd, though.

Regards,

Hazel

Thread Information