Digital Video Forum

Digital Video Forum Discuss camcorders, HD video, HD DSLRs, video editing, DV software, and video techniques. Your DV forum moderator is Skyman.
Read and Write Camcorder Reviews >>

Hi8 Playback Problems

Hi folks:

I have a bunch of Hi8 tapes that I want to transfer to DVD. I have a Hi8 camcorder to play them back, but the tapes were recorded on a different camcorder that I don't have access to anymore. When I attempt to play them back on my camcorder (Canon ES8400V), they basically play like they are fastforwarding. Does this have something to do with how they were recorded originally (e.g. "long play"? I'm not very knowledgeable).

Is there any way to get around this besides trying to recover the original camcorder or trying other ones?

Thanks so much for the help.

Re: Hi8 Playback Problems

I don't remember my Hi8 gear having a normal/longplay setting like VHS. Maybe it did.
    I do remember Hi8 was not standardized at first and the recording drum on some manufacturers were different diameter so the angle the media was recorded on to the tape was different.

Most big camera stores offer this service(Hi8 to DVD) for a very reasonable price these days. That might be less painful.
    Bob in Denver
    ==========
    Larger photos always available in my user gallery
    http://gallery.photographyreview.com...&ppuser=278310

Re: Hi8 Playback Problems

Quote Originally Posted by Singletracklovr
    I do remember Hi8 was not standardized at first and the recording drum on some manufacturers were different diameter so the angle the media was recorded on to the tape was different.
    This would make sense. The annoying part is that I have tapes that span three years essentially. The first two years are the ones I REALLY want, and they have the problem. The third year of tapes play fine on my camcorder.

I don't know if you recall when this lack of standardization was prominent, but the years of recording are late 2003 through early 2006.

EDIT: My camcorder is also slightly old, I remember getting it for Christmas around 2000/2001 or so.

Thread Information