Digital Video Forum

Digital Video Forum Discuss camcorders, HD video, HD DSLRs, video editing, DV software, and video techniques. Your DV forum moderator is Skyman.
Read and Write Camcorder Reviews >>

JVC Everio quality issues

I have a JVC Everio MG155u (not sure what that u means, since most cameras I've seen were just MG155, but oh well.)

From the reviews I've read everyone seems to say the video quality is pretty darn good, however all of my videos seem to be very blurry, and indoor videos seem very orange.

Since the reviews have all been pretty good, I'm assuming I'm doing something wrong.

FYI, I'm importing the video on an IMac, with imovie '08 through USB.

There was a few different ways to import, but this seems to be the fastest and easiest.

Thank you, and here's a link to some video's taken with the camera.

http://www.youtube.com/user/themonkeyproject

Re: JVC Everio quality issues

your link doesn't take me to your video. part of your problem with the colour cast is that you need to either set the camera on auto white balance or manually white balance the camera for different lighting conditions. I would need to see the video to work out what else is happening though.

This is the link cut and pasted directly from youtube, hopefully it works this time. Thanks, let me know if it works or not.

Basically it looks like your shot is poorly white balanced (you have daylight coming in the window and tungsten light overhead and that will often fool a cameras white balance sensor.) you should be able to manually set the white balance by pointing the camera at a white piece of paper or something. It is also under exposed. If you have your camera on Automatic there is very little you can do about this other than to turn on a light or move nearer the window. If you are using it on a manual setting you might be able to open the iris, decrease the shutter speed or increase the gain.

I got some little lens filters ( i think that's what you call them) that came with the camera, would those help?

not really, if anything they would make it worse by cutting down the amount of light hitting the sensor and creating a colour cast that the camera would automatically try to correct for.

Thread Information