Digital Video Forum

Digital Video Forum Discuss camcorders, HD video, HD DSLRs, video editing, DV software, and video techniques. Your DV forum moderator is Skyman.
Read and Write Camcorder Reviews >>
    totally photography stupid!!!

need help with DV camera

its a jvc GRDX77

I have been searching everywhere for help with my video camera. I dont have the instruction book anymore, been in training (army) since I got it, and now I am in Iraq...again...and would love to learn how to actualy use this thing to its abilities!

First I need to know if there are drivers I need to connect it to my computer...

plus am I able to, and if I am how?

1) downolad video to my computer?
    2) show it on my computer/tv while recording video?

also if someone can help me with the URL for the drivers for this thing, I would greatly appreaite it!

Peace

Re: need help with DV camera

first off i would recomend contacting jvc to get a copy of the instruction book most manufacturers are happy to send you a pdf copy of the manual. if not a good camera shop will be able to track one down and sell it to you (not that this will help you in Iraq but it is a start) I don't think you will need drivers to connect it to your computer just a firewire port and cable. you can use windows movie maker to download and edit your movies. as for recording directly to the computer, some video editing software (such as final cut pro or adobe premier) will allow you to capture video straight to your computer (i am not sure if movie maker lets you do this). better yet if you have msn or most other messaging programs and a good internet connection you can use it to video conference.

Quote Originally Posted by Skyman
    first off i would recomend contacting jvc to get a copy of the instruction book most manufacturers are happy to send you a pdf copy of the manual. if not a good camera shop will be able to track one down and sell it to you (not that this will help you in Iraq but it is a start) I don't think you will need drivers to connect it to your computer just a firewire port and cable. you can use windows movie maker to download and edit your movies. as for recording directly to the computer, some video editing software (such as final cut pro or adobe premier) will allow you to capture video straight to your computer (i am not sure if movie maker lets you do this). better yet if you have msn or most other messaging programs and a good internet connection you can use it to video conference.
    Thanks bro!

much appreciated, I already downloaded the manual, havnt had a chance to print it off yet, but I got it. I will look into the firewire thing, sounds simple enough!

I must have not explained myself correctly.

When I was talking about recording "WHILE" connected to a TV or a Computer, so I can see what I am recording on a bigger screen.

Thank you again for your help, much appreciated!

oh and i thought it was going to be hard!
    the camera will have a video out plug somewhere on it and will have come with a cable that most likely looks like a headphone plug with an extra ring on one end and three rca plugs on the other (normally they will be coloured red white and yellow) simply plug this cable into the camera and a tv, vcr or any other compatable device (some computers) and it will automatically send the signal to both the little lcd and the tv. incidentally the yellow plug carries the video signal and the red and white plugs the stereo sound signal. if your tv or vcr etc only has one audio input use the left (white plug) when connecting in stereo white is the left channel and red is the right.

Quote Originally Posted by Skyman
    oh and i thought it was going to be hard!
    the camera will have a video out plug somewhere on it and will have come with a cable that most likely looks like a headphone plug with an extra ring on one end and three rca plugs on the other (normally they will be coloured red white and yellow) simply plug this cable into the camera and a tv, vcr or any other compatable device (some computers) and it will automatically send the signal to both the little lcd and the tv. incidentally the yellow plug carries the video signal and the red and white plugs the stereo sound signal. if your tv or vcr etc only has one audio input use the left (white plug) when connecting in stereo white is the left channel and red is the right.
    LOL

yea I know all about rca cables and all, I just wanted to make sure that all I had to do was basicall record like normal, and when I plugged it into the tv/vcr etc...it would automatically just show on both! I was just making sure!

But you should write instructions for books bro, cuz with those instructions anyone could figure it out!! thanks again

Peace

Thread Information