Digital Video Forum

Digital Video Forum Discuss camcorders, HD video, HD DSLRs, video editing, DV software, and video techniques. Your DV forum moderator is Skyman.
Read and Write Camcorder Reviews >>

HD mini DV vs. HD hard drive

Can someone tell me what may be better, HD mini DV or HD hard drive camcorder for my purposes? I'm a causual user and about to purchase a camcorder for my honeymoon and then of course use it to capture life experiences going forward. For now, I would love to capture the color and beauty of Hawaii during my honeymoon. I was very close to purchasing the Sony - High-Definition MiniDV 2.1MP Handycam Camcorder because a trusted friend told me MiniDV is better for editing. Now, I personally won't be doing the editing, he would be the one doing it.

Today at work, another trusted electronics source at work tells me that a hard drive camcorder is the way to go. That it too, can be edited. The reality is that the editing may or may not happen. As noted, I'm certainly not going to do the editing, and if I do, it would be elementary at best. I'm now officially torn between the two types.

I want as little complications as possible so the hard drive camcorder seems more attractive since I don't have to mess with tapes.

Thanks in advance for any and all advice!

MJS
    Digital Video Moderator

Re: HD mini DV vs. HD hard drive

If you are having anything edited at all, you will get the best quality out of the MiniDV HD. The consumer grade HD and SD cameras are compressing the video more than their tape based counterparts..
    Michael
    Nikon Samurai #8
    Avid Editor
    Sony Shogun

Re: HD mini DV vs. HD hard drive

I can only second this, but if you have a read of the mini dv vs dvd thread it will hopefully help you to understand why. let us know if you have any more questions

Thread Information