Digital Video Forum

Digital Video Forum Discuss camcorders, HD video, HD DSLRs, video editing, DV software, and video techniques. Your DV forum moderator is Skyman.
Read and Write Camcorder Reviews >>

HD Camcorder for Football

I'm going to be shooting some football games this coming fall (for highlight films or just game film) and would like to do this in HD.

My question is what would be the best camera for this that is a good balance of quality and inexpensive but is good for sports? It would need a pretty good optical zoom since I may be filming from the pressbox level.

I've seen small handhelds for $500-600, but would be willing to spend more for a boost in quality and features. If the $1000-$2000 cameras are worth it, let me know since I might get some financial backing from the football team.

Thanks for your time!

Re: HD Camcorder for Football

Well, obviously $1000-$2000 would buy a pretty great camera, but I have been researching the Canon HG10. Its an HD hard disk drive camera. I watched some test footage on Vimeo, and it looks pretty great! I've also been told by some users of this camera, that its a really great camera.(These are Indy film makers, I've asked about it) Its around $500!

It also has a jack for an external mic, which can significantly boost your audio quality aswell!

Re: HD Camcorder for Football

If you can afford it the canon xl hd would be my choice. It probably blows your budget, but the fact that you can use can eos lenses will mean you can get a much better option for zooming in close and still have the versatility for regular use without loosing any optical quality as you would if you used aftermarket and third party telephoto lenses. failing that have a read of the reviews section of this site as there are plenty of great cameras that many users have reviewed.

Thread Information