Got my 7D!!!

Printable View

• 11-15-2009, 10:45 PM
    mitchbraun13
    Got my 7D!!!
    Hi,
    I just purchased the Canon 7D and wanted to know what a simple editing program would good be for the video I shoot with it. Just something to string together clips add some music, pretty simple stuff. Not looking to get to in depth while just starting to shoot video. Thanks in advance.
  • 11-16-2009, 10:23 AM
    Photo-John
    Re: Got my 7D!!!
    Mitch-
    If you've got a Mac then iMovie will get the job done. That's what I've heard anyway. I'm not a Mac user. I've found the Canon .MOV files kind of hard to deal with. Editing .AVI files with Windows Movie Maker is pretty straightforward, as long as you're not doing HD. You have to jump through a few hoops for HD editing and output. But I had to use a few pain in the ass workarounds to edit .MOV files. I ended up buying Adobe Premiere Elements because it supports the .MOV format. I've had lots of stability problems using it, though. I don't know how much of the problem is Permiere Elements and how much might be my computer. This video stuff is soooo much more complicated than shooting and editing still photos!

Please write a review for your 7D when you feel you've gotten to know it. We only have one user review for the 7D so far:

Canon EOS 7D User Reviews >>

I hope my reply helps. I admit, I don't know a whole lot. But I have been shooting and editing videos with digital SLRs and compacts for over a year now. So I have had to learn a bit.
  • 11-16-2009, 12:38 PM
    mitchbraun13
    Thanks for the reply!! I do have a mac so I'll try it out. Once I get to know the camera I will make sure to give it a review. I love it so far after 2 days of owning it. Thanks again for the reply and I may have another question or two for you. Thanks.
  • 11-16-2009, 04:01 PM
    Skyman
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Photo-John
    This video stuff is soooo much more complicated than shooting and editing still photos!

PJ, it really isn't that hard. The learning curve for most editing apps is no more or less than learning photoshop, just that you probably learnt photoshop over several years and versions. If you have the time, I recommend the adobe classroom in a book series, they should get you up and running very quickly.

Mitch, Imovie is great, to the point that I know of a couple of wedding Video makers who use Imovie!

as for the .MOV file format, it is actually a better format than wmv which is why canon uses it.
  • 11-17-2009, 11:21 AM
    poker
    For anyone that has difficulty playing .MOV from a Canon VSLR, I use this player which helps at times:

http://www.videolan.org/vlc/

It's the only thing that let's me watch .MOV from my 5DMKII without having to process it first although it is not always a guarantee.

Congrats on the new purchase.
  • 11-17-2009, 03:21 PM
    Skyman
    Quote:

Originally Posted by poker
    For anyone that has difficulty playing .MOV from a Canon VSLR, I use this player which helps at times:

http://www.videolan.org/vlc/

VLC player is actually a very powerful media player. Not many are aware though that it can also work as an encoder converting video from one format to another. It used to be my app of choice for strange file formats until I got CS4 and a copy of adobe media encoder.