Digital Video Forum

Digital Video Forum Discuss camcorders, HD video, HD DSLRs, video editing, DV software, and video techniques. Your DV forum moderator is Skyman.
Read and Write Camcorder Reviews >>

Good Video Camera without going professional??

I currently have a Sony DCR-TRV38, and I love it. Its been really good, and its perfect size, big clear touch screen. Has the Carl Zeiss lense, and takes pretty good videos.
    Here are some sample videos I have made.. 99% of the footage in this video was filmed with the TRV38.

http://www.westcoast6s.com/BARvid/BARVideo.wmv

Anyways, Its getting old, I have had it for about 3 years now, and I know they make a lot nicer cameras now. I'm looking for like one of the best cameras I could get with out going professional. I want it to be decent size, and it has to take really good footage. Reason I don't want to go professional is because I don't want some huge camera to tug around with me all the time. And it has to have really good night shot.

Anyone have any ideas? What are some current cameras out right now that are pretty good quality?

edit: and the zoom has to be smooth, one thing I hate about my camera is the zoom is really touchy, and it zooms really fast and then it takes for ever to focus.

Re: Good Video Camera without going professional??

I was just checking out sonys website.. and seen the HDR-HC1.

How is that? Good all around camera? Its pricey, but if it takes good videos it might be worth it.
    How does it compare to the TRV38?

MJS
    Digital Video Moderator

Your TRV 38 is a great camera. If you have the cash to blow and are Sony sensitive the HDR-DC1 looks like a great choice Tha is if you will be migrating to HDTV soon or already have one. The DCRPC1000 is also a good choice if you want standard definition and the extra color depth of three chips. The chips are smaller than the DC1, but the richness of the color in normal light might be noticably better. This particular camera is doing very well in underwater videography where color detail and low light capabilities are very important.

Good luck with your choice and whatever new toy you get.
    Michael
    Nikon Samurai #8
    Avid Editor
    Sony Shogun

everyone says stick with my trv 38, but the footage it takes isnt that great compared to other videos I watch online.

Maybe I have it on the wrong settings?

Thread Information