• 04-02-2009, 09:18 AM
    seenu
    Good HD Digital Video for motorcycle films
    Hello All,

I am new here and I would like to get your recommendations on good hd digital video camera. My requirements are as follows.

1. I am avid motorcycle rider and main purpose of this camera is shoot motorcycle rides that I go in HD quality. Example clip http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xNHMFRSLdl4&hd=1
    2. I will mount this camera on my motorcycle so it needs to absorb vibrations and stuff.
    3. I will be doing lot of editing and adding music and stuff
    4. My rides are usually a day to week. I need a battery that last longer.
    5. High quality video
    6. I will be posting on youtube and ridesnroads.com
    7. My budget is $700 max.

Hope I am not asking for too much there.

Any recommendations will be appreciated very much.

Regards,
    Seenu
  • 04-02-2009, 03:40 PM
    Skyman
    Re: Good HD Digital Video for motorcycle films
    Firstly if your primary output is going to be you tube then a HD camera is overkill. It sounds like a couple of backup batteries is in order. there is no way you will be able to record for a day without changing / recharging batteries let alone a week. When looking for high quality stick with a reputable brand like sony, canon, panasonic, jvc etc. Also look for a model with godd image stabilisation (to help smooth out those bumps) and a nice sharp lens that lets in a lot of light. I would also be looking at how the camera will be mounted to the bike. Most good camera shops will have a variety of clamps and clips that can be used to mount a light video camera.
  • 04-03-2009, 06:13 AM
    seenu
    Skyman,

Thanks for input, I got mounts and stuff figured out (Ram mounts), as you mentioned those are things I am looking for, I probably have to get back up batteries.

But would you mind mentioning couple of models, lenses types etc for me to start off.
    Regards,
  • 04-03-2009, 05:04 PM
    Skyman
    I used to work in a camera shop so i could tell you what was new and good and what wasn't, but it has been ages since I had to by a camera so I don't have any experience with the current models. My personal favourites are canon and panasonic (especially the 3ccd versions with the leica lens) but sony and JVC make nice video cameras as well. all I can suggest is read the reviews on this site and head to your nearest good camera store and have a play with some of them. also note that the projected battery life is under optimal conditions so you are unlikely to get whatever they say it is capable off.