Digital Video Forum

Digital Video Forum Discuss camcorders, HD video, HD DSLRs, video editing, DV software, and video techniques. Your DV forum moderator is Skyman.
Read and Write Camcorder Reviews >>
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Learning more everyday! maplestreet's Avatar

Free Video Editing Software?

Sup folks, now that I have a camera that shoots HD videos, I need some software to edit it.

I've used windows movie maker before and it's more than adequate for my meager needs as far as editing go, unfortunately my cameras both record in .MOV format and ofcourse, Windows Movie Maker doesn't support .MOV.

So I've searched google and there are a bunch of editing programs that say they are free but once you download them, you have to purchase the full version or there is a huge watermark in the middle of your video.

This is the first time I have been frustrated with Canon. .MOV is by far the least compatible video format and I dont like being pressured into purchasing software to support it when I should either get it free with the camera or it should be windows compatible.

Now I have all this footage I was planning on turning into a movie for my daughters that I cant do anything with unless (from what I have seen) I pay a minimum of $80 for more software.

Are there any video editing programs out there that support .MOV and are TRULY free?

Thanks in advance for any replies.
    Last edited by maplestreet; 01-19-2012 at 12:19 AM.
    Bert

Feel free to edit and repost my photos for critique if you feel so inclined! :idea:

Canon 40D
    Canon 7D
    Canon EOS Rebel 2000
    Canon Powershot SX120
    -----------------------------------
    EF 50mm f/1.8 II
    EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS
    EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS
    EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS
    EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS

Re: Free Video Editing Software?

Interesting question. I haven't tried any free editing software other than windows movie maker / iMovie but there probably is. This program MP4Cam2AVI - MPEG4/MJPEG to .AVI converter/joiner for digital cameras will let you convert the . Mov to . Avi so that you can use windows movie maker. If you don't want to convert then you could try this Avidemux - Downloads i haven't used it though so it may not like .mov but it is the only free editor that I would trust other than the two above. If either of these don't work, you can try buying a cheap video capture card. I know you don't need it but you can get them for less than $20 and many come with more powerful video editing software such as pinnacle etc. I know it isn't free but buying the same software could cost a couple of hundred yet it is less than 20 in with the capture card. You might get lucky and make a profit on the card on eBay!

Ps sorry for the formatting and lack of hyperlinks. It is kinda hard to do on holidays with an iPhone. The other thing to watch is that many computers are very sluggish when editing hd. Especially the cheap / free software as it often isn't so economical with its use of ram.
    Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur

Learning more everyday! maplestreet's Avatar

Skyman,

Thank you very, very much. That converter works perfectly (and very fast). I got my .mov files converted and was able to use Moviemaker. Solid advice my friend, I truly appreciate it.
    Bert

Feel free to edit and repost my photos for critique if you feel so inclined! :idea:

Canon 40D
    Canon 7D
    Canon EOS Rebel 2000
    Canon Powershot SX120
    -----------------------------------
    EF 50mm f/1.8 II
    EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS
    EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS
    EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS
    EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS

Quote Originally Posted by maplestreet View Post
    Sup folks, now that I have a camera that shoots HD videos, I need some software to edit it.

I've used windows movie maker before and it's more than adequate for my meager needs as far as editing go, unfortunately my cameras both record in .MOV format and ofcourse, Windows Movie Maker doesn't support .MOV.

So I've searched google and there are a bunch of editing programs that say they are free but once you download them, you have to purchase the full version or there is a huge watermark in the middle of your video.

This is the first time I have been frustrated with Canon. .MOV is by far the least compatible video format and I dont like being pressured into purchasing software to support it when I should either get it free with the camera or it should be windows compatible.

Now I have all this footage I was planning on turning into a movie for my daughters that I cant do anything with unless (from what I have seen) I pay a minimum of $80 for more software.

Are there any video editing programs out there that support .MOV and are TRULY free?

Yea its tricky with the MOV. and even more tricky to find a truly FREE editor. There is always the option of getting a bootlegged copy of final cut pro or sony vegas, but i am not really into stealing all that much, plus i hear that that really messup your computer in the regestry and stuff. ( dont know to much abou computers haha) I tried the free trials of Vegas and it was ok, but a little to hard for me to use, just lots of buttons and extras that made the whole interface to confusting for me, its took me like a week to make a 3 min movie. Not fun, seeing as it all just goes to youtube annways. As of now I use muvee Reveal X (Movie making in just 3 steps!) it was only 40$ and after the free trial and pumping out some really cool looking moves in one night I was sold. Easy to edit because it does most of it for you to start, and the music sync up was not bad either.

Thats just my two cents.

Hope that helps at all!

JB

Hi
    Can you confirm that the above mentioned program does not contain adware/spyware bundled with it? I'm very paranoid about such things.

Rusty, are you using a mac or a pc? Both Windows Movie Maker and Imovie are probably the best free video editing programs you will find, especially if you are worried about spyware etc.

I haven't heard any .mov video editor that's for free. But if you have a video converter, you could convert your videos into windows compatible.Then start editing with movie maker. Movie maker is free for windows users.

Imovie or see if you can go to where you bought your computer from they might give you software

I use adobe

do u have pc or mac

Quote Originally Posted by unawonder View Post
    One of the best video editing software with free trial version is Wondershare Video Editor for me because of high compatibility of input and output video formats. I usually took videos by kodak with mov formats, which can be only displayed by quicktime, and if i need to edit, i should buy expensive editors or converter from the other third-parties. I don't mind the third-parties but i can't afford high price untile i found Wondershare Video Editor, which support 30-day free trial and i bought it at only $20 in one of their giveaway ($39.99 generally).It can support almost all kinds of input videos:
    AVI, DV, DIF, NUT, H261, H264, NSV, FLV, MKV, MP4, M4V, PSP, 3GP, MOV, MPG, MPEG, VOB, DAT, EVO, RM, RMVB, TS, TP, TRP, M2TS, WMV, ASF, DVR-MS
    Output:
    Common Video/Audio WMV, AVI, MOV, FLV, MKV, MP4 Video(AVC), MP4 Video(Xvid), MP4 Video(MC), ASF, M4V, Xvid, DV, MPEG-1 NTSC, MPEG-1 PAL, MPEG-1 SECAM, MPEG-2 NTSC, MPEG-2 PAL, MPEG-2 SECAM, DVD-Video NTSC, DVD-Video PAL, HTML5, DVD-Video SECAM, MP3
    HD Video TS, TRP, AVI, MP4, MPG, WMV, MOV
    DVD DVD disc, DVD folder, ISO image file
    Devices

iPhone, iPhone 3G, iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, iPhone 4S
    iPod nano, iPod touch, iPod classic
    iPad, iPad 2
    HTC, Galaxy S II
    PSP, PS3, Wii, Xbox 360, Zune, Zen, Archos
    God bless me, the simple and easy to run interface really impress me!
    I haven't heard any .mov video editor that's for free. But if you have a video converter, you could convert your videos into windows compatible.Then start editing with movie maker. Movie maker is free for windows users.

Its good but have you tested it more then 3 times or just write down about this after viewing

I used iMovie at school. But there's only a pc in my home. My friends recommended me an iMovie for Windows called ShowBiz, which will never lose images or sounds or even break down like some movie makers
    I do editing, both editing video & photos.

Windows Movie Maker is free, and its functions for video editing newbie are totally enough. But if your are a senior editing maker, its function and output effects might be unsatisfied.
    I do editing, both editing video & photos.

I used to edit youtube videos with WMM, and turn myself to ShowBiz for more creativity on video making. I think paid software does has its advantages over free software.

It's not free but it's one the cheapeest i've seen that works with HD and produces good results, Video Easy by MAGIX

Smile Re: Free Video Editing Software?

Easy-Data Mediacenter is a program that is compleetely freeware, and have lots of tools. Like video converter,audio/video merger, pictures and audio to video, screencapture + lots more.
    It also contains an audio player capable of delivering bit perfect audio.

NOTE!
    This application is under construction and the developer wants feedback to get it better.

Sony Vegas will be a good option.. but donnno its free or not

Quote Originally Posted by Alecia01 View Post
    Sony Vegas will be a good option.. but donnno its free or not
    I've had different versions of that starting with the original roots as a home town firm Sonic Foundry. I have not upgraded or used it in a few years because I've moved my photo and video editing to Mac and run Linux and Windows VMs within.

I always liked the way sound worked with Vegas which was (is?) a given because of the roots in a sound editing firm and loop sales firm.

To be honest, if iMovie is "free" that's the one that really satisfied my use or needs the best. I'm a tech professional and always figure out different products but it has given me time to be outside or with my kids or with a guitar.

iFonebox-Superb iOS data recovery Summer Break Promotion

iFoneboxis a cool tool that can save the day if you accidentally delete a file or have data that needs saving. I was impressed with how easy the program is to use. At the same time ithas an interface that you don't have to be a computer guru to understand, so it's great for users with all levels of experience. iFonebox makes recovering data from iPhone/iPad/iPod seems so easy and effortless.

camera problem

my camera is pentax k200d.suddenly it is showing No Memory card in the camera.now what can i do?

Re: camera problem

Quote Originally Posted by Towhid View Post
    my camera is pentax k200d.suddenly it is showing No Memory card in the camera.now what can i do?
    most likely there is an issue with the contacts - take the memory card out, wipe down the contacts with a damp cloth or even better an alcohol wipe if you have one. Dry it and put it back in the camera. If that doesn't work, take the camera to your local good camera shop and get them to have a look

Creative cloud is one of the best options and probably the cheapest, owning the wide range of services it offers. Including video and photo edit.

Have you tried premiere pro?

[Update] - Pavtube Video Converter Ultimate 4.7.2 Add iPhone 6 Plus Profile

What's New:
    1. Add profiles for iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus and Samsung Galaxy Note 4.
    2. Fix some bugs.

With Pavtube Video Converter Ultimate - the best movie/video tool, can help you to transcode video, blu-ray & dvd collections, tv shows, tv series to iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus and Galaxy Note 4 as well as almost all popular video and audio formats for Windows users.

It can also convert your any videos to play on all iOS, Android, Windows tablets & smartphones, devices, game consoles, HD media players and more. What's more, this all-inclusive program is a HD video converter, you can convert TiVo, MXF, MOV, MP4, AVI, VOB, FLV and other HD videos to edit on Avid Media Composer, Xpress Pro, Adobe Premiere Pro CC/CS6/CS5/CS4, After Effects, Creative Suite 6, Pinncle Studio 17, Windows Movie Maker, DaVinci Resolve, MAGIX Movie Edit Pro, Sony Vegas Pro 12 Editing, Kdenlive, Keynote and so on. It also is a professional and simple video editing software to assist users with trimming, cropping, splitting, merging, attaching subtitles...to create your own videos.

Product Link: multipelife.com/video-converter-ultimate

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information