Digital Video Forum

Digital Video Forum Discuss camcorders, HD video, HD DSLRs, video editing, DV software, and video techniques. Your DV forum moderator is Skyman.
Read and Write Camcorder Reviews >>

Equipment Recommendations Needed

It's been years since I dabbled in video and have totally lost touch with this technology, so I'm hoping the experts here can give me a little guidance before I spend my money.

I am wondering which video camera should be selected to be used on a vechicle mount. The make it a bit more complicated, it would be used to record offroad easy jeep trails, which, although not rock climbing adventures, are quite bumpy.

It would have to have these features:

1. Ability to accept a glass filter or polarized filter to protect the lens in the event a rock should hit that area of the camera.

2. Have a wide angle lens attachment available.

3. Ability to record at least 3 hours; I'm thinking some kind of flash media would be more resistent to shock that a hard drive, but, frankly, I'm not sure on this question.

Basically, you get get a look at the jeep and snap up the concept on this new web page: http://www.easyjeeptrails.com.

These videos would be posted YouTube style.

I'm also curious about video editing. I would need the capability to string together the best parts of the videos, of course, and to dub in a vocal narrative with the option to override the original sound track or to leave the original sound track playing at a subdued level under the voice narrative. Do most cameras ship with editing software these days, and are the features within the usual array of software features?

Thanks much in advance!
    Last edited by NewMexico2008; 05-11-2008 at 02:26 AM. Reason: correct typo

Thread Information