Digital Video Forum

Digital Video Forum Discuss camcorders, HD video, HD DSLRs, video editing, DV software, and video techniques. Your DV forum moderator is Skyman.
Read and Write Camcorder Reviews >>

Premier Slideshows

I am creating a dvd slideshow using adobe premier pro, however when i import the images, they are to big for the screen (using a pal 4:3 aspect ratio) and so i need to resize the images. the problem is i have about 200 images that i need to resize, does anyone know of an easy way to do this ? at the moment i am faced with opening every image in photoshop and resizing them manually. I am sure there is a faster way, i just can't remember it.

also here is a lighthearted take on the merger between adobe and macromedia
    http://daringfireball.net/2005/04/adobe_translation
    (it would be nice if they got flash working well with premier as flash is very handy for animation sequences and titles)

MJS
    Digital Video Moderator

Re: Premier Slideshows

If you find a better and faster way, please let me know. The parents group at school just brought in about 800 snapshots of different sizes and wanted them all on a DVD slide show for the senior parents graduation dinner. Its a good thing I have about 50 advanced and intermediate students per day to help with all of that one at a time excitement,

Good luck with your search.
    Michael
    Nikon Samurai #8
    Avid Editor
    Sony Shogun

Quote Originally Posted by MJS
    If you find a better and faster way, please let me know. The parents group at school just brought in about 800 snapshots of different sizes and wanted them all on a DVD slide show for the senior parents graduation dinner. Its a good thing I have about 50 advanced and intermediate students per day to help with all of that one at a time excitement,

Good luck with your search.
    I recorded 2 macros in photoshop for this task. one for horizontal images and one for vertical images. i then simply seperated the vertical images to a seperate folder and batch processed them. once i had worked out how to record the macro, the process took 5 minutes. incidentallly i am not sure if fcp has this, but premier has a button at the bottom of the bin that allows you to automate to timeline. basically get the images you want in order in the one bin and it will place them all, along with the selected default transition into the timeline for you. save truckloads of time. i can make the slideshow look a little plain, as every image is displayed for the same length of time and there is only one transition type. and i would prefer to create some movement in the slideshow but it does mean that with some appropriate music and titles you can have a good looking slideshow in less than an hour including rendering time.

yes, just as skyman said, you should be able to set up a photoshop action for each dimension (one action for width, one for height), separate the images into two folders based on orientation, and then choose "batch" in photoshop to process the folders.

I've done that both personally and professionally.

MAKE SURE you choose "save as" at the end of your action and save to a different folder, so as not to overwrite your originals. .....just a reminder....
    Drink Coffee. Do stupid things faster with more energy.

Those Macros i painstakingly set up are not needed ! there is a setting in premier that allows it to automatically resize clips to the preset working size, also if you want to make a static image more interesting aplying motion and zoom effects to the images is relatively simple. this is why a video editing application is preferable to applications like nero as the range of options you have will enhance the look of the slideshow and it is relatively simple to alter the tempo of the slideshow by changing individual clip lengths.

Thread Information