Digital Video Forum

Digital Video Forum Discuss camcorders, HD video, HD DSLRs, video editing, DV software, and video techniques. Your DV forum moderator is Skyman.
Read and Write Camcorder Reviews >>

Question DVD Format Camcorder w/ External Mic Input?

(First time posting here... so please forgive me if I should've looked at an existing thread I didn't already come across). :idea:

I (finally ) need to replace our existing 12-year-old Panasonic VHS-C camcorder because it's audio gain circuitry is futzed-up. I primarily video my wife's horse competitions, riding lessons, and our dogs/cats/horses. I occasionally use a remote FM mic clipped on the riding instructor to minimize wind noise and to provide a solid audio input to accompany the video of the lesson. I usually capture the analog VHS-C content from the VHS-C camcorder plugged into my PC, and then burn a DVD for my wife.

I really like the 2008 HDD format camcorder crop, but my wife is adamant she wants DVD format with (similar to VHS-C) instant/simple gratification for her to pull a DVD/tape from the camcorder and pop it into a player already hooked up to our HD TV. I guess she could always just use a mini-HDMI cable to plug an HDD camcorder into the HD TV for instant playback until I could burn a DVD for her at my PC.

At this point, even though we have two HD TVs, HD recording isn't really a deal-breaker because we don't have HD players (just up-convert DVD players). I wouldn't mind minimally future-proofing a bit with an HD camcorder that also provides SD video for today, though.

I'm not keen on DVD for its MPEG-2 compression, but I'm not sure I have a choice. (After 31 years of marriage, I've learned resistance is futile. :17: )

The 2008 DVD format camcorders I've researched so far don't have external mic capability. Most HDD format camcorders seem to have an ability to either plug-in an external mic or (on Sony) to also use the proprietary smart-shoe for a Sony Bluetooth external mic.

Is anyone familiar with (or have experience with) a DVD format camcorder with an external mic input you could recommend?

Thanks!

...Karl
    :thumbsup: "Sometimes you're the windshield, Sometimes you're the bug!" :mad2:

Re: DVD Format Camcorder w/ External Mic Input?

follow your gut and stay away from the dvd format. it will be simpler and better to plug either a tape based (mini dv) or hard drive based camera into your tv than find a dvd cam with a mic input. alas many of the nice features of older cameras disapear with all but the top line of the newer cameras. this is often how the technology improves but the price drops.

Thanks for your response. Makes a lot of sense. I'll just plan to widen my search now for a terrific HDD camcorder.
    :thumbsup: "Sometimes you're the windshield, Sometimes you're the bug!" :mad2:

I'm pretty sure the DVDs that most cameras take (the mini ones) only have a 23 minute capacity.

I'd go with a hard drive camera, get a cheap PC with an S-video out video card (or mobo) and leave it hooked up to the TV, consider it a "video player". Dump the video over and boom, instant satisfaction.
    Please ask before editing my photos, I'll say yes

I like to take the pictures...

Well, what you can explain to your wife is that DVDs may look convenient are their face, but in reality, they aren't. First off, most are nominally to poorly rated. Secondly, you have to "finalize" DVDs before they can be played into a player. And once you do, you can't rerecord on them (unless you use RW discs and then, you must finalize them). Lastly, explain that f you want to shoot video and then edit it to take out wasted scenes, add titles and music, etc., you're taking a hit in video quality by shooting native with a DVD camera. This is because the video on DVDs is encoded to MPEG2, a compressed format. It's great as an end of the line format, but not for shooting source footage. Likewise, hard drive based camcorders, while convenient, tend to record in MPEG2 (only JVC gives you an option to record in AVI). This gives you the same problem. Additionally, if your editor doesn't import MPEG2 footage, you will have to "re-encode" (also called demuxing) the footage into an editable format. It's a hassle for those of us who wish to edit our videos as a hobby.

However, for DVDs, you'll need to take that DVD and "rip" it to your PC and then encode it into a more editible format. I recommend DVD Decrypter or DVD Shrink. They will get your footage off the dvd and onto your PC. You can then use something like Videoera (PC) or Handbrake (Mac) to encode it to a more editable format. Depending on what editing software you use, you may be able to import mpeg2 and even VOB files directly. But understand that you're already starting with compressed footage, so the resolution quality will not be as good as if you had shot native with MiniDV tape and captured to your PC.

And don't get me started on DVD compatibility.

As for a good HDD camcorder, go with the Canon HG10. Sure, it's HiDef. But you can downconvert to burn to DVD and then archive the original HD footage for when those pesky blu-ray burners drop in price. And it's got external mic capability to boot!

So, as you can see, DVD camcorders are truly alot more trouble than they're worth!

Thread Information