Digital Video Forum

Digital Video Forum Discuss camcorders, HD video, HD DSLRs, video editing, DV software, and video techniques. Your DV forum moderator is Skyman.
Read and Write Camcorder Reviews >>

Thread: DV tape ruined

DV tape ruined

I was wondering if anybody new on whether or not a dv tape can be restored.
    I video taped my vacation and first time watching it there was no problem, I rewinded the tape and watched it again to have nothing but (how can I put it) scratchy, wiggly, I don't know! It is ruined! Probably had some dirt in it, I bought a dv tape cleaner, tried another blank tape and it works fine. Man what a disappointment! If I can't get the tape fixed, how about fixing the finished dvd. Don' know if I am making any sense, sorry.
    Thanks in advance

Re: DV tape ruined

there are places that offer tape restoration services, but they are extremely expensive. It is also possible to retouch the video off the tape but again quite costly. I would be contacting your local film archive or national cinema library (in australia there is the national film and sound library) they should be able to put you in contact with people who provide those services.
    Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur

Thanks Skyman

Back again, just want you to know that I found someone at the Flea Market here and he actually fixed my messed up dv tape. No more red bars running through the movie, and he did it using a dv editor? Me think? that's what he said, anyways I am thrilled. Now the hunt is on for a new camcorder.

Thread Information