Digital8 to DVD

Printable View

• 02-02-2006, 01:55 AM
    flipper
    Digital8 to DVD
    I'm brand new to transfering to DVD.
    My concern is I am not getting the same quality on my burnt DVD. As my my Digital 8 tape. Am I doing something wrong.
    Here is my setup:
    Sony Digital8
    More than powerful PC
    Power Director 5 software.
    Plextor PX-716A DVD Burner
    Transfering in AVI format to my hard drive.
    Burning in HQ to DVD

Any help would be much appreciated.
  • 02-02-2006, 04:38 PM
    Skyman
    Re: Digital8 to DVD
    Quote:

Originally Posted by flipper
    I'm brand new to transfering to DVD.
    My concern is I am not getting the same quality on my burnt DVD. As my my Digital 8 tape. Am I doing something wrong.
    Here is my setup:
    Sony Digital8
    More than powerful PC
    Power Director 5 software.
    Plextor PX-716A DVD Burner
    Transfering in AVI format to my hard drive.
    Burning in HQ to DVD

Any help would be much appreciated.

what compression / encoding settings are you using to convert the avi file?
    in theory dvd will always be lower quility than the original tape but in reality if you use the right compression settings then you shouldn't notice any reduction in quality.
  • 02-02-2006, 06:53 PM
    MJS
    Are you watching the DVD on a regular television monitor or on your computer LCD. Try the TV and check if there is any noticible difference.
  • 02-02-2006, 08:44 PM
    flipper
    First?
    I am watching the DVD on a regular TV
    As for the compression?
    The software talks about MPEG compression if I wanted to watch the file on my computer. Not when I bvurn it to a DVD.
    This is where I am not up to snuff on this new adventure of mine.
    From what I've read on the 'net, When you burn to a DVD it automnatically converts the file to MPEG, correct?
    I did not find anywhere in the "burning mode" to change the compression settings, except it states that I can burn SP, LP or HQ mode, HQ being the highest quailty.
    In the "producing mode" It states I can change the compression so I can watch the file on the computer: Is this where I should convert to a higher compression? What would be your opinion of the correct compression settings?
  • 02-02-2006, 09:24 PM
    Skyman
    Quote:

From what I've read on the 'net, When you burn to a DVD it automnatically converts the file to MPEG, correct?

This process should happen automatically but in my experience there are options to the compression level of that conversion (all software is different however)
    Quote:

I did not find anywhere in the "burning mode" to change the compression settings, except it states that I can burn SP, LP or HQ mode, HQ being the highest quailty.

sounds like you should try using hq mode then.
    Quote:

Originally Posted by flippr
    In the "producing mode" It states I can change the compression so I can watch the file on the computer: Is this where I should convert to a higher compression? What would be your opinion of the correct compression settings?

i don't think so as you are given the option in the "burning mode" but if you have time play with it and see if there is an improvement.
    good luck. incidentally if you are doing a lot of this sort of thing then it is worthwile getting some dvd authoring software such as adobe encore dvd but this does not come cheap.
  • 02-02-2006, 09:45 PM
    flipper
    Skyman, am I correct in capturing in AVI format from my camcorder to the hardrive or should I be capturing in MPEG format? It seems I should convert it after I capture it in AVI to the hardrive.
  • 12-22-2008, 04:47 PM
    PR-Mark
    Hi.

Did you manage to sort out your Digital8 to DVD transfer. I am in the same situation and also don't know whether to go to DVD and then use Ripper software. The other way is to go direct to AVI from the Digital 8.

I have found this company http://www.video-to-dvd.co.uk who have some more info and they reckon they can do it for me. Has anyone heared of them or done any business with them?

The here is the Digital8 info. It talks about Hi8 but I am sure it is the same thing?
  • 12-23-2008, 02:41 PM
    Skyman
    Hi 8 and digital 8 are two different formats although this can be confusing as they use the same tape and some cameras were capable of recording in both formats. Your best option quality wise is to capture your tapes to an avi file. you can then edit it as you wish, watch it back at its full quality and export it to DVD or any other format you like.