Digital Video Forum

Digital Video Forum Discuss camcorders, HD video, HD DSLRs, video editing, DV software, and video techniques. Your DV forum moderator is Skyman.
Read and Write Camcorder Reviews >>

Converting MovieMaker file for TV wiewing ??

What format do I have to make my Moviemaker projects before I convert them to burn to a DVD to watch on a TV ??
    I am assuming I have to convert my moviemaker projects to a certain format before
    I can Burn then to a DVD for my TV ??

Thanks in advance.

Fred..

Re: Converting MovieMaker file for TV wiewing ??

That really depends on the file formats that your burning software can convert. Movie maker can't save in a format that will be recognisable in a regular dvd player. programs like toast, roxio and nero will do this for you, or if you have access to it a proffesional grade dvd mastering tool like adobe encore. most dvd burining programs will be able to convert .avi files so exporting your movie maker film as a dv avi should work.

Quote Originally Posted by Skyman
    That really depends on the file formats that your burning software can convert. Movie maker can't save in a format that will be recognisable in a regular dvd player. programs like toast, roxio and nero will do this for you, or if you have access to it a proffesional grade dvd mastering tool like adobe encore. most dvd burining programs will be able to convert .avi files so exporting your movie maker film as a dv avi should work.
    Thanks for the reply Skyman
    After a few FAILED attempts.
    Currently I am not certan what type of file to make my Movie Maker file ( many options ),
    and what file type to convert it to ( I think AVI ) before I burn it to a DVD so it can be used on my reqular DVD player for my TV.
    I have NeroBurn. But I am willing to pay for a cheap shareware one that will do all of this for me.

Fred..

I don't know if nero burn will convert the files for you, i think they might make you pay for the full version. Export an AVI and then using nero's wizard create a dvd. this should prompt you to create a menu and select a source file which it will then split up into the various files needed for the dvd (dvd's use a system where audio files and video files are split up and there are encoded files telling your dvd player wich files to use and play) They do this so that you have the option of choosing language formats and directors comentary and so forth. The downside is that without the correct software you can't create dvd's that will work in a dvd player and for the most part that software isn't available freely. If you only need to do a few dvd's, go and download the 30 day trial of adobe encore.

Thread Information