Digital Video Forum

Digital Video Forum Discuss camcorders, HD video, HD DSLRs, video editing, DV software, and video techniques. Your DV forum moderator is Skyman.
Read and Write Camcorder Reviews >>

Talking I'm attending a class in Public Access

I looked up the Public Access serivce for TW Cable in my area and I'll be attending the first of three classes to certify myself to use the Public Access facilities.

Have no idea where this will lead to but it sounds like fun!!

Has anyone else done this?
    Canon 5D MKII & Canon 7D

MJS
    Digital Video Moderator

Re: I'm attending a class in Public Access

You'll probably be learning about what standards of production they have and be shown some basic studio equipment if they have any. Public access points are always looking for programming an experienced volunteers to help make the place happen. Think PBS without the telethons, just trying to get you to do the work with and for them. I used to help teach the classes while a TA in college. Then went into broadcasting for a living. Now I do the same thing to budding professionals at the High School that I currently teach at.
    Michael
    Nikon Samurai #8
    Avid Editor
    Sony Shogun

Thanks Michael. Good to kow.

They also told me, that I need to be certified to submit public access TV content, to use the studio, and to rent the gear. It's all for free. They said it's like a library.

I was just looking to get any level of free education. I hope it will be fun.
    Canon 5D MKII & Canon 7D

So I took the class last night. It was interesting and I think it is great such a thing is offered to the public due to cable franchise and federal/local government agreements.

We were toured of the facilities including the LINEAR edting bay. Yes, I said LINEAR.....all analog. They said they might be getting NLE stuff but of course a profit free section of a company gets low priority.

We are also allowed to check out $17k video cameras and light sets. Well, the gear is worth less now since they are 3 chip analog video cameras that record to 3/4 tape.

They guy said you are better off using your home mini DV camera and editing it at home.

The 3 cameras studio and light grid was what interested me the most. Unfortunately, you can not bring your own camera into the studio. You have to use their antique equipment but it should be adequate for public access.

They will play your show at time slots available from 3PM to 11PM M-F and earlier on weekends. The problem is that they don't list the programs anywhere except on the channel itself between shows. It doesn't appear anywhere on print or the digital listing on your cable box. You have to advertise it yourself.

Initially, I thought you can not have an ounce of company representation on the show but there are ways around it. You can not put website addreses but you can use email addresses. You can't provide addresses but you can give 'thanks' to companies that helped in the production via the credits.

There are a bunch of ideas in my head but I can get lost in my ideas easily. I don't know if producing public access is considered a 'hobby'.

"What's your hobby?"
    "I produce TV shows for public access."

Let's see if I follow through.

If anyoone else is interested, you have to go to your local cable company website. Some cable companies have it clearly listed and some you have to dig deep or call them up. I don't even recall how I found my resource but I know IT WAS NOT through the time warner cable website.
    Canon 5D MKII & Canon 7D

MJS
    Digital Video Moderator

Sounds like one of the first TV stations I worked at after college back in 82 WINK in Ft. Myers, FL. The equipment has changed, but working in studio with a crew hasn't. Have fun with it and enjoy your hands on museum experience.
    Michael
    Nikon Samurai #8
    Avid Editor
    Sony Shogun

Thread Information