Digital Video Forum

Digital Video Forum Discuss camcorders, HD video, HD DSLRs, video editing, DV software, and video techniques. Your DV forum moderator is Skyman.
Read and Write Camcorder Reviews >>

Date on tape not showing on Video playback!?

I have a panasonic NV-DS55B digital video camera bought in 2000.

I am transfering tape footage via a firewire to a JVC dvd player hard drive.

When I play the footage onto the tv screen to record, the date which IS showing on the tape (which I can see via the lcd screen on camera) is not showing on the tv screen which is not what I want.
    Its pointless without the date showing in the bottom left of the screen. So then it will be seen on the finished dvd.

Any idea why this is and can somebody please help asap?

Thanks

Re: Date on tape not showing on Video playback!?

with digital the date and timecode information is saved as a separate strip of information on the tape as far as i am aware this is not normally sent through the firewire as most people don't want that information covering any part of the recording. when playing the video back on the tv however you can control what is sent to the screen. I believe there is a button marked osd (for on screen display) on your remote control. and this will toggle the display of the date/ time and timecode. worst case scenario i would connect the camera via rca leads to a normal vcr and record the video to vhs with the display info turned on, and then set the camera to record mode and connect the rca leads to the vcr's output and use that to copy the tape with the time info either back to a different mini dv tape (so as to not loose the original in case there is a problem) or if the camera lets you, directly through the firewire to the computer.

let me know how you go.

Thanks Skyman..I think you are right.

I think it is the remote control. The thing is the battery is dead lol

I haven't used it for a while. If I don't back to you the you know it was the RC.

Cheers

nope OSD hasn't worked.
    Not sure why.

osd won't work through the firewire, only through the rca leads.

Thread Information