Digital Video Forum

Digital Video Forum Discuss camcorders, HD video, HD DSLRs, video editing, DV software, and video techniques. Your DV forum moderator is Skyman.
Read and Write Camcorder Reviews >>

Sony DCR-SR45 reset button question....

Hello all, recently my Sony DCR-SR45 stopped turning on, with or without the AC adapter plugged in. The manual says to try pressing in the reset button, but does anyone know if this will cause me to lose what videos i have recorded on the hard drive of the camera?

I dont know what happened to this camera, it was working fine up until a couple months ago, then it would hesitate to turn on, now it wont turn on at all....the light goes green for a few seconds after i turn the switch, then goes off, and a soft audible sound can be heard (from the cameras speaker i believe)....

I also already tried powering it up with just the AC adapter in, and the battery out....still no go

any help would be GREATLY appreciated....my sons first year videos are on this camera....

thanks in advance....

Re: Sony DCR-SR45 reset button question....

presumably the reset button returns the camera to its factory settings, including formating the hard drive.... you really would need to speek to a sony tech to confirm this though. It might be possible to pull the drive out and mount it in an enclosure and access the videos that way, but it wouldn't be for the faint hearted and unless you are very careful likely to trash both the drive and the camera. If you can find a technician in your area have a chat to them and see what they recomend, but if it were me I would be recovering the video first and repairing the camera second.
    Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur

Re: Sony DCR-SR45 reset button question....

Quote Originally Posted by jestah57
    Hello all, recently my Sony DCR-SR45 stopped turning on, with or without the AC adapter plugged in. The manual says to try pressing in the reset button, but does anyone know if this will cause me to lose what videos i have recorded on the hard drive of the camera?

I dont know what happened to this camera, it was working fine up until a couple months ago, then it would hesitate to turn on, now it wont turn on at all....the light goes green for a few seconds after i turn the switch, then goes off, and a soft audible sound can be heard (from the cameras speaker i believe)....

I also already tried powering it up with just the AC adapter in, and the battery out....still no go

any help would be GREATLY appreciated....my sons first year videos are on this camera....

thanks in advance....
    Had the same problem and had to sent it back. Worked great after that and have uploaded 400 plus videos to youtube. The zoom starts to make a sound as you use it if the audio is left open on the edit but new HD Sony should be here this week.

Thread Information