Digital Video Forum

Digital Video Forum Discuss camcorders, HD video, HD DSLRs, video editing, DV software, and video techniques. Your DV forum moderator is Skyman.
Read and Write Camcorder Reviews >>

convert Super-8 film to dvd

Hi,

I am attempting to copy super-8 film to dvd. However I've run into a major problem from the get-go.

I have a box I purchased which is meant for receiving super-8 film images from my projector and then projecting it onto a small screen as part of this box. I then situate my Sony digital movie camera so that it photographs the images on the box's screen.

The principle works fine. Unfortunately there is very distracting flicker recorded onto the Sony tape (I was almost expecting that to happen). I can eliminate the flicker just a bit by changing the speed of the projector, but not enough to make any real difference.

I assume I need a video camera that allows for variable shutter speeds. Unfortunately my Sony does not have that (nor many other features either. I paid a lot for the Sony 'quality' but suffer from lack of good features).

Can anyone recommend a reasonable quality video camera that has the variable shutter speed feature and does not cost a whole lot?

Thanks.

Re: convert Super-8 film to dvd

panasonic have some very nice mini dv cameras that have manual controls (they are clunky to use for regular shooting but should be perfect for your work) they have the added bonus of leica lenses and the accurate colour of a 3ccd camera.

THanks. I'll check into Panasonics. Anybody else with suggestions?

MJS
    Digital Video Moderator

If I'm not mistaken, Super 8 film was usually shot at 18 frames per second instead of the hollywood standard of 24 frames per second. How many feet you you have to transfer? It might be less expensive to have it transferred at a local place that does that sort of thing, than buying a new Panasonic camcorder.
    Michael
    Nikon Samurai #8
    Avid Editor
    Sony Shogun

If I can get a decent camera for around $400, I'd be better off getting that rather than having a business do it for me.

Thanks.

Thread Information