Digital Video Forum

Digital Video Forum Discuss camcorders, HD video, HD DSLRs, video editing, DV software, and video techniques. Your DV forum moderator is Skyman.
Read and Write Camcorder Reviews >>

Canon HG10 Question

I'm about to buy a Canon HG10 hard drive camcorder for event coverage. I know jack about video. Since it's for event coverage and we want to be able to put stuff up immediately after shooting, I am wondering if the hard drive is going to be a problem. I know tape is out of the question. I wanted to get a camera that records directly to SD cards because I know that works. Will the hard drive camera be the same or will it be slower to transfer and/or format?

Thanks...
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Re: Canon HG10 Question

in theory there shouldn't be a difference between the hard drive camera and an sd camera. i suspect that the mpg files produced on the hard drive will be at a lower compression and resolution than most sd based video cameras (there are exceptions but they are broadcast and very pricey) as for transfer, you are limited by the speed of the connection, rather than the format, so it will either be usb2 or firewire (i have have yet to see a firewire 800 video camera)

I bought it. So we'll see how it goes and I will report back. We'll be using it for PMA tradeshow coverage, starting on Thursday. So I'll know how well it works, shortly. Fingers crossed...
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

MJS
    Digital Video Moderator

Good luck with the PMA. I just wish they didn't run it during school time, we're always too busy for even a brief weekend get away. I haven't had the chance to play with any of the consumer HD cams yet so I can't help much either.

Have fun with it.
    Michael
    Nikon Samurai #8
    Avid Editor
    Sony Shogun

I finally had a chance to look at the pma footage. I know you don't really have time to mess with the video before uploading it, but the sound on the fast forward opening sequence is a little distracting, you could either kill the sound or add some music and it would be better. the rest of the stuff is great, but a better mic would help a lot. Ms Casio is really hard to understand. if you have the luxury of someone to hold it for you even a handheld mic would be better than the on camera one, if not a cheap gunshot mic will really help. other than that i am fairly impressed. when the pma dust settles, perhaps you could run through how the video camera fitted in with your workflow. Not everyone has the luxury of a production team or the time to fine tune those edits before posting their video and you guys seem to have come up with great results under pressure.

Thread Information