Canon FS WIdescreen

Printable View

• 06-05-2008, 06:51 PM
    gggggggg
    Canon FS WIdescreen
    Hello All, not sure if anyone is able to help me. But I have just revieved a nice shiney new Canon FS100.

I think I have set all the settings to allow WIdescreen/16:9, however, when I look at something on the Widescreen TV, its 4:3.

When I look within Media Player it tells me its 640x480. ANd Sony Vegas tells me its 720 x 480.

On the LCD screen on the device it shows in Widescreen all ok.

Anyone seen similar, or know how to fix it?

THanks
    Greg
  • 06-05-2008, 08:38 PM
    Skyman
    Re: Canon FS WIdescreen
    where did you buy the camera? if you are recording in pal a 4:3 signal should be 720x576

some cameras say they are widescreen but only give you the illusion by letterboxing (chopping the top and bottom) is your camera doing this
  • 06-05-2008, 09:14 PM
    gggggggg
    Its a US camera. NTSC also.

On the viewfinder and recordings. When I swap the setting Widescreen On/Off I do get differnt results for example, pointing it at my widescreen TV.
    Widescreen on: I fit the TV in perfect pretty much, sides and top.
    Widescreen off: I see more at the top/bottom, and less at the sides.

But it doesnt seem to make any difference to the dimensions when actually playing it back. So its like they just squash the extra footage into the same 4:3 recording maybe?
  • 06-05-2008, 09:31 PM
    gggggggg
    Ok, thanks for your help. I think i got it
    http://forums.cnet.com/5208-6035_102...sageID=2760557
  • 06-05-2008, 11:47 PM
    Skyman
    your profile says your location is Australia, that is why i was asking if it was pal or not. what it is doing is stretching the pixels to fit the widescreen. bottom line it is not actually recording any "wider" than in 4:3 mode but it gives you the look and feel that it is, and it tells the computer that it is in widescreen format.
  • 06-06-2008, 01:51 AM
    gggggggg
    It was a inpulse buy on a holiday.

So based on the above I did a test. I got a square bit of paper and taped in 4:3 and then in Widescreen. Then looked at it on the TV, and paused it, and measured it. Then did the SDCopy process thing, and measured it again.

4:3 Footage: Before converting it was square, perfect. After running SDCopy it was a Rectangle with the long edge along the top/bottom.

Widescreenfootage: Before converting it was Rectange, with the long edges on the left/right. After Running SDCopy it was Square.

Based on this, does it mean that SDCopy does the thing I want without changing/streaching etc?

Thanks
    Greg