Digital Video Forum

Digital Video Forum Discuss camcorders, HD video, HD DSLRs, video editing, DV software, and video techniques. Your DV forum moderator is Skyman.
Read and Write Camcorder Reviews >>

Video Camera Help

im starting school in the fall at Columbia College Chicago, im going to be studying film. anyways i want to get a camera of my own so that i can film things during the summer. i already have a camera but its crap. its years old.

the most i can spend is $1,000. i want to something that will look good maybe not professional but better then those home movie looking cameras. i like to film short films. im very creative with my videos so i use alot of effects on them with adobe programs. i would like to have manual features in my camera as well as high definition.

i would look for one myself but i haven't bought a camera in years so I'm not sure.

thanks for the help

Re: Video Camera Help

have a read of mini dv vs dvd thread, it will help to explain where technology is at these days. you may find that your existing camera isn't that bad.

the main things to look for are a 3ccd camera with a good lens and manual control. that is almost all 3ccd cameras so you won't be starved for choice. I would also add that the ability to connect and xlr microphone and manual gain control for the audio would be nice but those features are probably going to push you over your budget. I am sure MJS will have a few specific cameras in mind, but really none of the brand name ones are to bad. let us know how you go and check out our reviews page when you have narrowed down your search a bit.

thanks

who is MJS?

sorry, mjs is the other forum moderator here, he teaches video so will probably have a better understanding of what you might need.

Thread Information