Digital Video Forum

Digital Video Forum Discuss camcorders, HD video, HD DSLRs, video editing, DV software, and video techniques. Your DV forum moderator is Skyman.
Read and Write Camcorder Reviews >>

Unhappy transfer movie file to Sony DCR VX2000 camera

Hello there!

Could you please help me with this matter as I cannot find any information whatsoever in the instructions manual.

I have this edited film sequence on a mac computer , an hour long and I would like to transfer it to mini-DV with my Sony VX2000. How do you set the camera to 'import' the movie? I know it has been done before with this camera.
    Do you just need one USB cable from the camera to the computer and that's it or do you need more 'cables' ?

Please help! Thank you!

Re: transfer movie file to Sony DCR VX2000 camera

Quote Originally Posted by mango
    Hello there!

Could you please help me with this matter as I cannot find any information whatsoever in the instructions manual.

I have this edited film sequence on a mac computer , an hour long and I would like to transfer it to mini-DV with my Sony VX2000. How do you set the camera to 'import' the movie? I know it has been done before with this camera.
    Do you just need one USB cable from the camera to the computer and that's it or do you need more 'cables' ?

Please help! Thank you!
    you plug the camera into your firewire port. then final cut pro has an option to "export to tape" and the computer takes control of your camera and it just works. i am assuming that a similar function is used with imovie.

HI Skyman!

Thank you for your post. Unfortunately, this simple procedure does not work. I'm working on Avid Xpress pro and nothing happens. I'm having other problems with my mac computer (error 36) and even inside Avid (my sequence has jumps and digital code breaks), so I don;t know what exactly stops the transfer onto mini-DV. I thought perhaps the camera needed to be set to a particular import and copy mode.
    I'm having a horrible time...
    Thank you for helping.
    Christine

Quote Originally Posted by Skyman
    you plug the camera into your firewire port. then final cut pro has an option to "export to tape" and the computer takes control of your camera and it just works. i am assuming that a similar function is used with imovie.

Quote Originally Posted by mango
    I'm working on Avid Xpress pro and nothing happens. I'm having other problems with my mac computer (error 36) and even inside Avid (my sequence has jumps and digital code breaks), so I don;t know what exactly stops the transfer onto mini-DV. I thought perhaps the camera needed to be set to a particular import and copy mode.
    I'm having a horrible time...
    Thank you for helping.
    Christine
    MJS is the avid expert around here. but i think i am getting the idea. First off you can't export a sequence that has gaps in it. you might need to zoom right in on the timeline to find them (especially if they are a frame or so long) I have a sneaking suspicion that your mac may not be coping to well with all the burdens of running a broadcast video editing application. to that end try exporting the movie as an avi file so that you have a complete video file to export (without any rendering required) then create a new sequence and drop this rendered video file into it then try and export that. if this fails then do you have imovie installed? you can drop the renedered file into imovie and export it that way. imovie will walk you through the process very easily. I can't stress enough that you are going to have to clean up your timeline before you can do this though. back in my uni days i was stumped by a 1 frame gap in the timeline it took me a long time to find it and i was only working with a 10minute sequence. your eyes can barely tell) so it is hard to work out where the problems lie. this is especially true if your computer is not quite up to the task and won't play back the sequences smoothly. trying to use final cut pro on a g3 taught me a lot about keeping edits simple and clean. it also improved the look of my editing as i wasn't always jumping for the effects pallette. My uni has a long standing competition for film students. it has to do with appropriate use of a starburst transition. to the best of my knowledge it has never been won.

MJS
    Digital Video Moderator

How long have you been using the Avid software? There are a couple of things to look for.
    1. As Skyman suggested, check the timeline for obvious gaps. On the PC wed just use the Up and down arrows to spread out the time line a bit to see the gaps easier.
    2. Make sure that all of your transitions are rendered. Arm all of yours tracks that you edited, put an in time on the beginning of the timeline and an out at the end. This should highlight the entire timeline. Go to the clip menu and select Expert render in/out . Click OK if there are any effects to render.
    3. After rendering, make sure that you have digital out enabled, check at the upper right hand side of the timeline window and see if the little ball is green or blue, it needs to be blue for the digital out to work. If it is green, click on it till it turns blue.
    4. Make sure that you connected the camcorder to your computer before Avid was turned on, it shoulb be via firewire and not USB. The camera needs to be in VCR mode.
    5. Push play on the timeline and look to see if there is any signal in the camcorder viewfinder. If there is, reset the time line to the beginning and push record on the camcorder. Then push play on the timeline for the good copy. Make sure the monitor for all tracks you want recorded are selected.

Let us know how it goes.

MJS
    Michael
    Nikon Samurai #8
    Avid Editor
    Sony Shogun

Wink Re: transfer movie file to Sony DCR VX2000 camera

Hi!
    After endless days of looking into the problem of how to transfer the sequence in the Avid onto mini-DV and how to first get rid of those recent jumps and digital code breaks in my sequence, I have discovered something which may help to solve these problems.

When the button on the top of the timeline is blue, the sequence has all those jumps and digital code breaks but when you click the button and it becomes green, the picture in the sequence is normal!

Then as you said, when you go to enable digital video out, the camera which is connected to the computer 'reacts' and in the view finder you do see the sequence. But because the button is blue it shows all the jumps and digital code breaks and that I do not want to record! And it does record by the way so now I have to find a way round this. PLEASE HELP! THANK YOU SO MUCH!

Hi!

Progress and yet still not transferred onto mini-DV.

I made a sequence audio sample rate coversion and 2 clips needed conversion.
    After that 'Digital Cut' allowed me to make the transfer onto mini-DV and the picture was fine, no more jumps and rubbish. BUT after 5 mns or so an error-36 showed up and stopped everything. I tried again and an error-50 stopped the works this time.

So close and yet not there yet,

Please help!
    Thanks

Mango

I could be wrong but it sounds like you are overcooking your system. I suggest that you render the files to an avi. close the program reboot, open a new project and import the rendered avi to this sequence and use that to export. oh and when you reboot turn of every non essential application you would normally have running.
    I hope this helps!

Thread Information