• 03-13-2009, 11:43 AM
    agentjf
    Camera for Short Story and Art Projects
    Hi,

I have a tone of experience with Video 10+ years ago as Wedding Video Photographer and producing low budget corp video's. But that was 10 years ago.

Today, I am looking to get my feet wet again doing some fun short stories and other art type of videos I can post on You Tube and Social Networks like Facebook. I have been thinking of the Sony MHS-CM1 as a starter camera as I need to keep it low budget. Basically I am looking to shoot then dump off to my PC for some easy editing and upload.

Any thoughts or suggestions is greatly appreciated.
  • 03-13-2009, 06:02 PM
    Skyman
    Re: Camera for Short Story and Art Projects
    Given your experience I would be suggesting that this camera might start to frustrate you after a little while. you might prefer something with a bit more manual control (not necessarily a prosumer camera, but something that will let you manually focus or set your iris and shutter speed) If you shop around the likes of canon, panasonic and jvc have them for around the same price as the sony. Also if the output is for the web why bother with hd. you are paying for resolution you will be dumping when you export the vid anyway. most editing applications will let you export a standard definition video to high definition fairly well if you need to export to blu ray later. this also has the added benefit of meaning your editing suit will run a little more happily. HD video has huge file sizes. Oh and you might want to have a read of the <a href="http://forums.photographyreview.com/showthread.php?t=11577">mini dv vs dvd thread</a> as this will help explain the minefield of formats that have arrisen, although the underlying principals are still the same.
  • 03-16-2009, 03:21 PM
    agentjf
    Re: Camera for Short Story and Art Projects
    Thank you good advice!