Digital Video Forum

Digital Video Forum Discuss camcorders, HD video, HD DSLRs, video editing, DV software, and video techniques. Your DV forum moderator is Skyman.
Read and Write Camcorder Reviews >>

Where is i.LINK cable port in DCR-DVD908E

I am a newbie and this is my first post in this forum. My respect to all my seniors in this forum.
    a) I have purchased a Sony DCR-DVD908E Handicam. I am not finding out the i.LINK cable port. Can anybody please confirm, whether it at all contains a i.LINK (or firewire) port?

b) If I copy the original movies to my computer, will it loss any quality?

MJS
    Digital Video Moderator

Re: Where is i.LINK cable port in DCR-DVD908E

There doesn't appear to be an ilink port, they probably figure that you will put the DVD directly into the computer and pul the files from there. If you import the files directly from the DVD, there should be no loss of quality once they are on the computer. I believe that you can use any DVD drive that actually has a tray, a slot loading unit may be a problem. I haven' used a DVD camera yet, so I can't tell you what software to use with it.
    Michael
    Nikon Samurai #8
    Avid Editor
    Sony Shogun

if you don't have a tray loading dvd, then you can use the usb to copy the files.

Quote Originally Posted by MJS
    There doesn't appear to be an ilink port, they probably figure that you will put the DVD directly into the computer and pul the files from there. If you import the files directly from the DVD, there should be no loss of quality once they are on the computer. I believe that you can use any DVD drive that actually has a tray, a slot loading unit may be a problem. I haven' used a DVD camera yet, so I can't tell you what software to use with it.
    Sir, my best regards to you for giving attention to my thread.

I presently have a computer having DVD writer installed in it. So, there is actually no problem for me to copy those video files to my hard disc.
    The matter which made me tensed that, in spite of buying the highest priced Standard Definition Handicam camera available in the Indian market, whether I am handicapped from capturing quality videos. As you are telling that copying files to my hard disc will not decrease the quality of picture, I am now getting relief and really on the way to release my tension.

Again I beg to convey my best regards to you for your kind help. Thank you once more.

with regards
    anindyanuri

Quote Originally Posted by Skyman
    if you don't have a tray loading dvd, then you can use the usb to copy the files.
    Yes, there is an USB port in the camera but USB port can be used to capture the still pictures stored in the memory card, movies cannot be captured using USB port.

I have not a good experience in this trade, but now I can feel that firewire port is being provided mostly in the Digital Tape cameras to capture Digital Videos to the computer. Digital DVD cameras may not contain a firewire port as it is supposed to copy the pictures directly to the computer. Am I right?

My best regards to you,
    anindyanuri

Unfortunately the highest price doesn't always mean the best quality. Other threads have explored the differences between mini dv cameras and dvd cameras and due to the compression that is applied to the dvd format, mini dv cameras are still much higher quality than their dvd counterparts. They also integrate better into the editing process than dvd discs. The MPEG or MPG files your sony creates should be directly importable into your computer, either by copying them to your hard drive through your dvd burner, or using the usb to copy the files (the camera should appear as a removable device in my computer) and you should be able to copy files that way. once on your hard drive premier can read most file formats assuming you have the correct codecs installed. if you are having difficulty it may be that you are finalising the discs (so your dvd is no longer a data disc but a movie disc) if this is the case you can use several applications such as AutoGK (Auto Gordian Knot) to rip and convert your dvds to avi file formats. Adobe premier will be able to edit your avi files although you may want to render them in premier first. Another handy little option is to use windows movie maker as a conversion application (especially since it is free). movie maker can often import file formats premier wont. you can place these files on the timeline and then save them to my computer. make sure you specify the dv avi file format that suits your region. once again these avi files can then be opened in premier.

Yes, skyman, I believe that unortunately the heighest price does ot mean the best quality. Anyway, as I have understood that the quality of captured DVD will not be lost while I download the images to my computer, as it is true, I do not have any problem (Actually no other way to go even, ha ha).

I have read the difference between mini dv camera and a dvd camera. The article is a must read for all who is a newbie like me. Thank you for such a good explanation. The thread is worth sticky.

I also have downloaded AutoGK, and the software is seemed to be a nice one (though I shall comment over it after a few more testing). Actually I support the GNU GPL softwares much.

Also a request at the last. If you find a tutorial over DVD authoring using Ulead Video Studio 11. Please refer me the thread.

Please ignore this post as it was a duplicate post.

Thread Information