Digital Video Forum

Digital Video Forum Discuss camcorders, HD video, HD DSLRs, video editing, DV software, and video techniques. Your DV forum moderator is Skyman.
Read and Write Camcorder Reviews >>

Thread: Camera to DVD

Camera to DVD

Hello everyone,
    New member here, just hope I知 in the right place.
    I have recently updated my Canon Ixus camera to a Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ28.
    I used the Canon to make the odd 20 minute DVD for my local history club on our outings, using a mixture of photos and video with background music. This was done by using Windows Movie Maker (Windows XP) and Convert X to DVD. The result after editing was surprisingly good.
    The first problem I have noticed with the Panasonic is that the video is in .mov format and HD, and not .avi, so now will not edit using Moviemaker.
    I have found a converter program (Alive Video Converter) which seems to do the job perfectly and allow me to use Moviemaker once again. My question is, since I have updated the camera, are there better ways to get the same results on to DVD using other software, without costing the earth or, am I better sticking to the tried and trusted method using the converter program.

Re: Camera to DVD

this all comes down to budget. programs like adobe premier pro cs4 natively support the variety of hd video formats around at the moment so no conversion is necessary although it is an expensive program and the learning curve is fairly steep. having said that the level of control you have will let you take your video to the next level. I am surprised that the camera didn't come with software that lets you convert the hd files though.

Thanks Skyman
    Yes I had already checked the discs that came with the camera and gone through the pdf files, but no reference to any .mov conversion or similar.
    Quicktime was of course mentioned and I did wonder whether Quicktime Pro would be a possible answer to moviemaker and dvd recording as a step up from how I知 approaching it now. Moviemaker isn稚 exactly rocket science and it does what it says on the tin. I just thought that someone might have a idea on having upgraded the camera, I might consider using another software or technique to do what I知 already managing now.

quick time pro will convert the .mov files very nicely, adobe media encoder also does an ok job. there are also thousands of public domain applications and programs that can do it, but quality and consistency is a bit hit and miss. otherwise look to another editing program that provides support for the .mov format. most of the better editing programs have trial downloads you can test before buying the full version.

Thread Information