Digital Video Forum

Digital Video Forum Discuss camcorders, HD video, HD DSLRs, video editing, DV software, and video techniques. Your DV forum moderator is Skyman.
Read and Write Camcorder Reviews >>

Camcorder or camera?

As usual I over analyze things, and get way over my head. With all the new cameras coming out that shoot HD video, would it not be better just to buy that instead of lugging around a camera and camcorder? I will never be as good as some of you, what the heck all of you and that's o.k. I was told that some of these cameras actually have better hd video than the camcorder itself. I don't have lots of money, and I don't want interchangeable lens either, but want some type of zoom. ?? Waiting to hear from anyone with their thoughts.
    Thanks again
    Barb

Re: Camcorder or camera?

It really depends on what your needs are. There are camcorders that take great still pictures and there are cameras that take great movies, but which do you envisage yourself doing more of? you really don't need to go to an slr with interchangable lenses, and both still cameras and camcorders are going to come with a decent zoom, but obviously the bigger the zoom, the bigger the camera which sounds like it might be an issue for you. If quality was your primary concern there aren't too many cameras that do both brilliantly, but we are getting there. I suppose thinking about how you are likely to use / share whatever you produce will inform which way you go.
    Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur

Re: Camcorder or camera?

Not doing anything special, just need a camcorder for those special moments.
    I was just reading a interesting article on dpreview. They were talking about sensor size, a dslr has a larger sensor so from what I gather it would shoot better in low light. There's alot of reading I must do, and who knows what the new year will bring us. Looking forward to newer technology and hoping it's user friendly for people like me.

Thank-you

Thread Information