Digital Video Forum

Digital Video Forum Discuss camcorders, HD video, HD DSLRs, video editing, DV software, and video techniques. Your DV forum moderator is Skyman.
Read and Write Camcorder Reviews >>

Button failure on Canon DC95 Camcorder

I have been asked to help someone to get their Canon DC95 Camcorder working - again I think but not sure; believe it did work out of the box.

When I switch the camera on, the menu immediately goes to disc initialise, but the menu/move buttons don't work so the Video/VR cannot be moved or selected. If I change mode it does change, but there's (obviously) nothing to play. If I change back it looks as though it's ready to record, but the menu, func and menu/move buttons do nothing.
    I have tried fully charging the battery.
    I have tried removing the battery for 15 secs.
    When I switch off, the message "task in progress, do not remove power" is displayed.
    Any advice on how I get the buttons to work?

Re: Button failure on Canon DC95 Camcorder

before i do anything i would rule out disc failure and have a look at the laser (if you can see it) to see if there is any dust, hair etc on it (don't touch it, the oil from your hands can throw it out of wack) failing that it sounds like a job for Canon. find out where your local service centre is and take it to them. if it is still under warranty i would either take it back to the place you bought it from or return it to canon straight away.

Re: Button failure on Canon DC95 Camcorder

I think it was bought a year last Christmas and they've lost the receipt! Certainly when the disc door is opened and the disc removed there is no light at all from the laser, but is that not a safety mechanism? I've been wary of getting too close to lasers ever since doing physics at uni many years ago when they were the 'in' research topic! I think a phone call to the service centre at Boreham Wood might come next.
    Many thanks.

Thread Information