Digital Video Forum

Digital Video Forum Discuss camcorders, HD video, HD DSLRs, video editing, DV software, and video techniques. Your DV forum moderator is Skyman.
Read and Write Camcorder Reviews >>

Breaking up avi files

I am in the process of putting my High8 and Digital8 videos to DVD. In the process I want to make back up of the full uncompressed avi files.

I have been importing my vides with WinDV and/or Pinnacle and I get big chunks of video in 12 minute sections or so.

what I want to do is view this raw video and then break it up into segments based on scenes - for example video of my sister's new baby is combined with video of our son in same file -

I know that I could stand by and watch the video as I am importing and start and stop but I want to import in large chunks and then go back and break up the files WITHOUT any compression.

any ideas?

thanks,
    Wes
    Wes

Who are they, where are they, how can they possibly know all the rules?

Re: Breaking up avi files

most video editing software allows you to export back to tape or to file in an uncompressed format. so i would be loading the captured files into your favourite editing application joining them together and exporting it as a file. the same result can be achieved by capturing the bits you want and joining them without having to split up the continuos stream of video. if you are using an application like adobe premier or final cut you can use the timecode on your source tape to "batch capture" which will save you a lot of time.

thanks Skyman I will give it a try. Pinnacle can be pretty fussy sometimes.

What do you think about the new Sony HD camera - HDR FX1? Is it worth it?

Thanks again,
    Wes
    Wes

i just shot a short film with it. it is a bit of a toy in my opinion. the manual exposure is clunky to operate, the lens is a bit ordinary, it is touchy with the focusing and the audio inputs really suck, one unbalanced mini jack input - i mean really guys sony marketing were right on the money when they called it an amateur camera. i really like the look of the new panasonic with the pcmcia drives and the canon xl hd but then i can't really comment on them as i have yet to have a proper play with them.

Quote Originally Posted by Skyman
    i just shot a short film with it. it is a bit of a toy in my opinion. the manual exposure is clunky to operate, the lens is a bit ordinary, it is touchy with the focusing and the audio inputs really suck, one unbalanced mini jack input - i mean really guys sony marketing were right on the money when they called it an amateur camera. i really like the look of the new panasonic with the pcmcia drives and the canon xl hd but then i can't really comment on them as i have yet to have a proper play with them.

Well for sure I am on the amateur list when it comes to video but will take a look a the canon and panasonic. going from a sony dcr trv 730 to any of these models will be a like a dream to me anyway.

thanks for the heads up.

Wes
    Wes

Thread Information